Find
Notify
Tools

barrel replacement
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted
Ok I need some input. I'm thinking about getting a new barrel on my Marlin 30-30. Mine is pitted pretty bad. Who would you get to work on it, what kind of barrel and twist rate? I want to get away from the micro groove. I may send it off this winter so I can get time to save up some $$$$. Or should I just hang her on the wall and buy a new one Smiler Thanks, Dave

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
Nobody has ever had a barrel replaced on a lever action? Guess I'll be the first Smiler

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My dream rifle - A Browning BLR in a 35 Whelen Improved. I cant find a used BLR to purchase to get this done. So last week I purchased a BLR chambered in 450 Marlin to get my fix till I can find a used BLR.

Regards

Conrad

Posts: 6 | Location: Abiquiu, NM | Registered: 21 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a 30-30 rebarrel is a easy job lot of guys up here have done it.....also i would rebarrel to 308 or 30-30 ackley improved.

a friend of mine has a like new 30-30 for sale 250$

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 700 nitro:
a 30-30 rebarrel is a easy job lot of guys up here have done it.....also i would rebarrel to 308 or 30-30 ackley improved.

a friend of mine has a like new 30-30 for sale 250$

A Marlin lever action rebarreled to a .308 would be quite exciting.. Roll Eyes.. however most likely you would'nt find a gunsmith to do it....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another popular 'cure' is to rebore and chamber 38-55. We have been doing a lot of these lately, with the limiting factor being the barrel contour (has to have enough wall thickness for the larger bore)

Another way to go is watch ebay or go to Gun Parts Corp and get another factory barrel. Cheaper than building a new one, and keeps you in a 30-30... but will be the micro-groove configuration.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Instead of worrying about a 308 just chamber a 30-30 to 308 or 307. It's easy to do. OAL has to stay under 2.60 to work well but it's not a hard alteration. I changed my Marlin 336 and it shoots 308 ball ammo into 2" at 100 yds . YOu can't use ball ammo in the magazine but you can find some soft point ammo that is under the OAL and it works well. Load it yaourself in 308 cases or use 307 brass. I'm satisfied. Going for a 358 win now.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Ammohouse, to answer your question, Reeder in Flagstaff can do that work. Another is Nonneman's in Missouri. There are many others. You might try a post at the forums of Kelly's lever gun sight; someone there might know of a 'smith nearer to you. Brownell's or Numrich might have factory barrels, which any 'smith could quickly install.

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you considered sending the rifle to Marlin for the job?

I hear their prices are pretty reasonable.

I believe they also offer a cowboy conversion...

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
quote:

Doh!

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asdf:
quote:

Doh!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking but I was being nice....

Marlin factory service is by all reports one of the best.

There are sometime NON-microgroove barrels available (like the cowboy barrels)
but unless you are really into cast bullets there is nothing wrong with the microgroove.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with sending it to Marlin. Several years ago I acquired a 1895 that I then did the stupid thing of cutting it to 16 inches. Didn't like it much, so I sent it to Marlin. Turn around was a few weeks and the price was about a third of what any gunsmith would have charged me.

Posts: 1646 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote