New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal 125 gr. HP ammo.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Talked to some cowboy accomplaces who shoot this bullet in their 30-30s and are vocal about how well they put Mule Deer down..It is a soft nose bullet with a hollow point, lots of lead exposed and is touted by Federal as a game bullet,not a varmint bullet I am told.

I bought 6 boxes of this stuff at a gun show and it shoots great in my 30-30 Win. carbine.

Has anyone else had any experience with this bullet?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Ray,
Since no one has responded, may I tell you of my experiences with jacketed hollow points bullets on game?
1. 140 grain Speer .357 JHP from a .357 rifle at 2200 fps MV. One shot kill on whitetail doe at 40 yards with devastating meat damage and a 6 inch exit hole- did not hit bone. The bullet entered the neck just forward of the shoulder.
2. 125 grain .357 HHP pistol bullet from same 20" rifle barrel at similar velocity exploded on impact an the side of a running feral hog at 20 yards. This happened on two separate hogs the same day and was witnessed by PH. In both cases, the hair was blown off, but there was no penetration. I switched to JFP bullets.

I have used such JHP from pistol and rifle on varmints with great results, but definitely prefer JFP in this rifle for game.

Possibly my reply will encourage some 30-30 folks with appropriate experience to chime in.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Whoever told you that was wrong Ray that 125 grain bullet in the 30/30 is rated as a varmint /small game bullet they even show a picture of a woodchuck next to the load. 150 and up for deer and i would prefer the federal 170 grain nosler partition for mule deer. dont get me wrong those guys may be very selective with there shots,shot placement is the key but that bullet isn't designed for medium game.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanoos,
I have shot both elk and deer with the 30-30 with the 170 gr. bullets, mostly Rem. Corelokts. as well as many deer with the 150gr. and no complaints..

Just wondered about this particular Federal bullet, and it is touted as a game bullet btw. It is the Federal Classic HI Shock 125 gr. Jacketed hollow points, no pics of varmints on these boxes and the box reads the bullet jacket is tapered to provide controlled expansion and twice the original caliber diameter..The boys tell me they get nickle to quarter size exit holes on all broadside shots..I realize that most light bullets are varmint bullets but there are exceptions..I also read some place that these are constructed game bullets and it caught my interest..Thought I might try one on the smaller Texas Hill country whitetails.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Don't have any idea on this bullet combo. I however don't doubt that it could be a game bullet. I am sure you will try it and let us know. My dime is on that it does work at the 30-30 speed.
I found some of the 170 grain HP bullets on special last year and loaded some light loads for a 30-06, maybe 30-30 speed or so. I saw a big doe shot and the bullet left a dead deer and a nice exit hole. Not much meat damage. I am going to try them myself on one of the tags this year. I have a granddaughter coming up who goes hunting with us. Pretty soon she will want to do the shooting I think, so Poppa is getting a gun and load ready.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's what I have in mind, letting the girls shoot these bullets on deer, range 75 yards..White tail in the Texas Hill country, They are small deer, a big one will go 115 lbs maybe 125 on the ranch I'm talking about..They get much larger where I usually hunt further south in Texas, and will be hunting in a about 3 weeks..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually the Federal 125 gr ammo was designed for smaller game. No doubt it would work fine for deer on broad side shots.

It was also promoted as a good round for 2 legged varmints, to those Law Enforcement Agencies that still carried the 30/30 when the 125 gr round was first introduced.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I thought I read that it was designed as a predator bullet as in coyotes? I've tried them in my Marlin 336 and they hit quite a bit higher so open sights might not work. The scope I have on mine did just fine though. Eeker

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2802 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its been sometime now and I shot a coyote with the bullet and it left a nickel size exit hole, so thought it would work on deer..they shot 3 deer with that load and it exited in two cases and was found fully expanded on the off side skinf on the third..As far as I could tell it killed deer about like any other 30-30 bullet...Also the box states the bullet is designed to penetrate game and expand to double its size and touts it as a game bullet..I think its fine for broadside shots at the feeder up to a 100 yards anyway...

Did it really impress me, not particularly, and I like the 170 gr. bullets best in the 30-30 as on never knows when a going away shot might present itself, and the 170 gr. Rem Corelokt or Nosler will stick their nose in the dirt pronto, whereas the 125 gr. might not?

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update using the 125 grain on deer. I've always been afraid to try it myself. I have used them in coyotes for no other reason then I just like to play with my .30-30 Marlin in the winter.

Your experiences make me feel better because there are quite a few Cougars roaming the same area and it's nice to have the right tool for the job in case one comes into the calling.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2802 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does PMC is make the 30/30 ammo with the all copper bullet?

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zola.,
I guess they still do..I have about 4 boxes of 150 gr. flat nose hollow point monolithic 30-30 factory loaded ammo by PMC, called "Surefire Ammo" that I bought about 8 or so years ago..They are absolute killers on deer from any angle, and I shot a cow elk in alfafa, first shot broadside at 150 yards got an 1.5" exit hole and lots of blood, the second follow up shot was going away behind the last rib and came out just behind the off side shoulder leaving another 1.5" exit hole, and that's a lot of penetration from any caliber, She went down at the second shot, which btw was not needed..

I am sure the bullets are Barnes 150 gr. FN hollow points. Great bullet IMO.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120