New
Find
Notify
Tools

Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted
Would like to put a Tang Sight on my 1886..
But it is the new model with the tang safety..
My questions are.

1 Can I get rid of the tang safety?
2 What sight should I put on.
3 Who is well suited to do the work for me.
Thanks Guys Maddog

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
As much as those things recoil, you might want to think twice. I put one on a Marlin 1895 Cowboy and it was hitting right at my eye, too close for comfort. I took it off and installed a Skinner peep. There is a reproduction Lyman sight for the 1895 and 1886 Winchesters made by provience tool, I had one installled on my 1895 repro and it works fine.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes you can take the tang site off. But the hole for the safty bar is about in the way so you can't drill and tap and use the old style hole space sights. You will ned to weld up the hole from the underside and redrill and tap. Then the safty bar will not go back. You could buy one of the Turnbull Manufactured 1886 DLX TD rifles that we do and remove teh safty weld it up and redrill the hole then we colorcase the reciever. The hammer slot ion hte side is filled with a steal bar welded into palce. The half cock on hte hammer is depened so it works like an old gun now.

I tend to use more than enough gun.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have a Browning M71 I'd like to do your 470 or 475 conversion on.

What do you recommend?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
475 would be the way to go as you can get a longer OAL cartrridge in it. We can rebore the original barel but yo will loose 2" due to the front sight holes.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Maddog;
In order of your questions:
1. Yes, but I chose another option on my Miroku/Davidsons 1886 .45-90. See 2. below.
2. Marbles makes a Tang Peep just for the Miroku 1886 with the tang safety. The forward part of the base covers most of the safety, but does not disable it if you wish to put it on for some dry firing. The back screw of the base fits into the present rear tang hole, but you must drill and tap the front hole in the tang just back of the safety.
3. Any experienced gunsmith should ne able to D and T the hole and install the sight; lining it up with the barrel sight will put you on the paper at 25 yards.

Additionally, I also installed the Marbles folding barrel sight which can be used with the tang sight folded down. You can do that your self or have it done when the tang sight is installed.

WRT the recoil? For hunting, you will not notice it, even with the curved steel buttplate (rifle weighs 9.5 pounds empty), but shooting from the bench goes better if you lay your thumb down the stock rather than wrapping it around the stock behind the tang sight. For working up really heavy loads with bullets over 400 grains, I bought a lead-sled and it reduced felt recoil down to that of a .223 or such.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MADDOG
I shot a 1886 in 45-70 with a copy of the Lyman tang sight made by, I think, Columbia Precision. They were medium loads and during recoil the sight came a little too close to my face for me to feel comfortable. I was shooting off a bench at the time.
Mr. Turnbull, I have a question for you. I go to the S&W forum a lot and there is always discussions on disabling and filling in the hole in the frame on the new S&W revolvers with the external lock.
Whenever this discussion comes up, there is always someone pointing out that if the gun were used in a shooting and the lawyers got involved and pointed out that you disabled the safety device, it would go very bad for you.
When you do your rifles, taking off the safety, do you ever consider this? I won't buy a new Smith if I don't have to, but if I did, I would want the lock gone. Just curious as to how you feel about this.

Posts: 1665 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you work on it you own the liability! Mount a scope and it is now your problem. Send a Ruger back to the factory and if not original they will not work on it or return it to the Factory specs before working on it.

All custom gun builders are in the same case. If you work on it and do anything then it is yours.

I guess we just try to oick the things that hopefully will not get us to far into troulbe. I bet putting non factory rims and tires on your car can get you into the same pinch if things happen.

If you wnat something done to your S&W then find the people that specialize in them and tehy will do it for you.

The Wild West guns are in hte same boat and the work they do I am sure they fall in hte same area as what we do.

If you want to go after someone then you will find a lawyer that will do it for you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug:
Thanks much for the answer....I was in now way questioning you, just curious of what you thought about the whole thing. Thanks again!

Posts: 1665 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DUKE NUKEM
posted Hide Post
MVA makes a tang sight with a hollow that covers up the goofy tang safety.

Posts: 1073 | Registered: 10 December 2006Reply With Quote