Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1876 Chaparral
 Login/Join

posted
I have always wanted a Model 1876 Winchester. I saw were Uberti is bring out a copy of that rifle however, no one I know has seen one. I did find a 1876 Charparral. The gun looks good but, so did my ex-wife. Any info on this company and gun would be a great help.

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
A review on an internet magazine can be found here. You might also use google to scan the forums of www.leverguns.com which has some real die-hard lever gun users. Your google search command will be:
1876 winchester site:leverguns.sixgunner.com
(the leverguns.com forums are hosted at sixgunner.com)

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a Chaparral in 45-75 but haven’t shot it yet as I am still rounding up bullets, brass, dies, etc. It seems generally well made. My understanding is that the same company in Italy makes the basic parts for all the various manufactures. Chaparral is organized by the same guy that owns Charter Arms.

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Chapparal SRCs and I like it a lot. If you're looking for a powerful levergun this isn't it, at least not in today's world. However, in 1876 it was da bomb. We've got a group of .45-75 shooters trying to re-learn the cartridge. That is the big problem, getting brass. I'd suggest the .45-60 as you can form brass from .45-70 although properly headstamped brass is available from Starline.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hobie

Are you sure that a little dyslexia (i.e. 40-65) didn’t sneak in there. I am unaware of Starline making 45-60. If so please supply the link to the source of the 45-60 Starline. I have no complaints with my Uberti 76. FYI, the parts for the Chaparral and the Uberti are NOT made by the same company. The Chaparral parts are made in the old Armi San Marco factory. Uberti make their own parts

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1876's are made by both Uberti (quality) and Armi Sport (variable QC and no connection to Armi San Marco). Read the label!

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote