THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Pre-64 Win 94, .30-30 question....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 Win 94, .30-30 question....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone ever punch out the Model 94 to .30-.30 Imp., or would that be a sin? Also, who does nice restoration work on these rifles?

Thanks,

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug turnbull for the restoration.
as far as the chambering, I would get a marlin.
Or the new marlin in that new .308 cartridge the name excapes me.
But with the leverution bullets it is not far behind a 300 savage...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jordan:
Anyone ever punch out the Model 94 to .30-.30 Imp., or would that be a sin? Also, who does nice restoration work on these rifles?

Thanks,

Jordan

I don't know about these days, but at one time that was a fairly popular conversion for lever gun wildcatters.

As far as being a sin to convert a '94?....Heck, it sure isn't even a "3 Hail Mary's" offense as confessions go. I notice where someone recently here commented on M'94s as being rare...gimme a break! When I quit checking serial numbers a few years ago, Winchester (and its later owners) had manufactured and sold over 6 MILLION of them IIRC.

Maybe I'm old and senile, but even if it was only 5,000,000, that somehow doesn't meet my definition of a rare collectible amongst non-military rifles. In fact, I can't think of any other center-fire sporting model which has had more produced.

It's supposed to be a working tool, not a Mona Lisa in the Louvre. If you want a .30-30 Improved to putz with, that's a good round, and the M94 is a good enough rifle for it.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by Jordan:

Thanks,

Jordan

I don't know about these days, but at one time that was a fairly popular conversion for lever gun wildcatters.

As far as being a sin to convert a '94?....Heck, it sure isn't even a "3 Hail Mary's" offense as confessions go. I notice where someone recently here commented on M'94s as being rare...gimme a break! When I quit checking serial numbers a few years ago, Winchester (and its later owners) IIRC had manufactured and sold over 6 MILLION of them.

Maybe I'm old and senile, but even if it was only 5,000,000, that somehow doesn't meet my definition of a rare collectible amongst non-military rifles. In fact, I can't think of any other center-fire sporting model which has had more produced.

It's supposed to be a working tool, not a Mona Lisa in the Louvre. If you want a .30-30 Improved to putz with, that's a good round, and the M94 is a good enough rifle for it.

Thanks Alberta. Whereabouts in Oregon are you?

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I'm half-way between the great megatropolis of Wilbur, Oregon, and that young whippersnapper Dave Scovill's hometown of Glide, Oregon, on the north bank of the North Umpqua river...reportedly Zane Gray's favourite trout stream.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Turnbull is the man for restoration. You could as mentioned buy a 308 marlin express. Or if you want a winchester, there is a possibility to trade that nice pre-64 for a winchester in 307 winchester. (a rimmed version of the 308 winchester with a round nose bullet and downloaded just a bit). What are the specs on your 94? I have a 307 big bore in my safe Big Grin

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
I'm half-way between the great megatropolis of Wilbur, Oregon, and that young whippersnapper Dave Scovill's hometown of Glide, Oregon, on the north bank of the North Umpqua river...reportedly Zane Gray's favourite trout stream.

I am down in Alturas, California. Was thinking maybe you were in the K-Falls area.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Until 1963 or so the only guns you could punch out to improved were pre-64s. It's your rifle and your money; if a little more juice and some bragging rights are more important to you than resale value I say go for it. Turnbull does fine work but he makes a gun so pretty a fella might be afraid to take it into the woods; that might be a sin. If anyone talks you into the latest 30/30 killer be sure to buy plenty of brass; every one that's tried to replace the 30 WCF since 1895 has died an unlamented death.