Find
Notify
Tools

Francis Sell's .25-35 Tomcat
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Still need to have sights and a new stock put on the Marlin Tomcat, but here is what the case looks like compared to the original .25-35.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16531 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I have had my best luck with IMR 4320 in my Marlin 25/35 Imp. I'll be curious to see what you come up with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive had such good luck with H-380 in my standard 25-35s that I would probably just have to try it in the IMP version..If I ever come across a cheap Marlin that's pretty rough, I will build myself a Tomcat..The main reason I have not had one is my 250-3000.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ray, H-380 is right up with CFE223 on the Hodgdon data site for velocity with the Hornady 117 RN.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16531 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Interesting project. I would love to see pictures when it nears completion. I've never actually seen a Tomcat before.

I have one of Francis Sell's books and really enjoy it. But I guess living in the foothills of the Cascade's that's only natural.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2802 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yep I was going going to rechamber one of my 25-35 Winchesters I had five but solod them all.The 25-35 Ackley improved is 600 pfs faster than the regular one in a 24 inch barrel .

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my guns I maxed out at 300 FPS over factory loads???and that's just real good..Would you be so kind as to give us your loads, I would surly like to try them in my gun, and chronograph them, that's awesome..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Fellas, it will be a while before I have the rifle completed. I just sent some nice walnut to George at Treebone Carving for him to turn me his semi-crescent early Ballard style butt stock.
http://www.treebonecarving.com...levergun-stocks.html
I plan to have Jerry Huddleston engrave the receiver with "Sell, Donnelly, Ackley .25-35 Tomcat," and then it will be off to Wyoming Armory for the lever and receiver to be color case-hardened.
She'll be a looker when finished.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
What kind of pressures do those hot loads produce? I assume they are safe enough for a lever gun. My first centerfire rifle was a Winchester 1894 25-35.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
FLA: The idea of expanding the case capacity is to permit more bullet speed at similar pressures to the parent cartridge.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I have an ancient Handloader magazine in my outhouse with a write up on the Tomcat. I also have a fellow trapper in a village 20 miles away with a 25-35 that is getting older and starting to sell a gun or 2 on occasion. Maybe it's time to start working on a Tomcat project?

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a chance to put a strain gauge on my Marlin 25/35 Imp before I blued it.
You will find a slight sticky-ness in the lever before you hit unsafe pressures if it's anything like my rifle.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Rat, John Taylor Machine in Puyallup, Wa., has my reamer.
Back40, that's good to know. Thanks.

– John Green, author