THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Tang or Receiver Sight for Marlin 30-30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tang or Receiver Sight for Marlin 30-30
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Those of you who shoot Cowboy Lever Action Silouette,what would you recommend and why? I have a 336 Marlin, would I need to change the front sight also, depending on which way I went?
Thanks for the help. By the way, this will never be my hunting rifle, it's for this purpose only.

Posts: 98 | Location: Eagle, Idaho | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The various tang mounted sights available give the rifle a notalgic look if you will and the closer to the eye for the rear sight the better.
With 30-30 the recoil should not be a problem.
The sight mfg's provide data as to just how high the front sight should be to regulate with the rear sight, but if you do need to alter front sight, no problem. As for front sight would suggest a bold bead, enlarged post, etc. for ease in seeing clearly.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The length of the Marlin bolt requires the tang sight to be set far to the rear. This interferes with placement of the thumb of the trigger hand.
As much as I would prefer to use a tang sight my thumb will not wrap around the grip. So I use a receiver sight.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Skinnersights.com They have several
choices. They are receiver mounted with changable aptertures. Take out the Apt. and it
becomes a Gohst ring. New Tactical Model with
protective ears.

Good shooting

Tetonka

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tetonka:
Check out Skinnersights.com They have several
choices. They are receiver mounted with changable aptertures. Take out the Apt. and it
becomes a Gohst ring. New Tactical Model with
protective ears.

Good shooting
skinners are not sass legal.

Tetonka

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SR4759 pointed out a good negative about the tang sight. Only thing I can add is if you're shooting various distances, especially long distances, the tang sight is fast to adjust for elevation, that is unless you have a receiver sight with the target knobs. I also believe you'll get more elevation adjustment of a tang sight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Marbels tang sight on my 336 which I use for NRA lever action shilouette. There are two things I dislike about it, first, it's wobbely. This can be lessened by shimming under the spring, just haven't done it yet. Second, you lose the ability to easily clean from the breech. If you can find a decent reciever sight like a Redfield 75 I'd go that route.

Posts: 126 | Location: nothern ca | Registered: 29 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are at least 3 good receiver sight with good windage and elevation adjustments for the Marlin 336 that have been sold by Lyman, Redfield, and Williams. Tang peep sight look nice, but they aren't a rigidly mounted as a receiver mounted peep sight, so if accuracy is your primary interest, there wouldn't be any question as to which way I'd go.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:

I also believe you'll get more elevation adjustment of a tang sight.

You may be right about this with the Williams receiver sights, but I believe some of the Redfields and Lyman receiver models were available for a while with either long slides or short slides on special order.

I know for sure that was true with the ones for Mausers and Springfields, but I seem to recall that though the Springfield and Mauser versions were standard catalog items with either length, the ones for lever guns could be had that way too, but only as special orders.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote