THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    .470 Turnbull in a 1895 guide gun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.470 Turnbull in a 1895 guide gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm going to be sending a Marlin guide gun in 45-70 to Doug at Turnbull restoration to rebarrel to .470. I am looking for feedback from .470 turnbull owners or anyone who has any experience with them. I have'nt owned a lever gun for 20 years now, and was looking at the .450 Marlin. Then (because of AR) saw Dougs work and got the bug. I like the quick handling of a GG and thought a .475 slug would would be the icing on the cake.

I cant find much info on this combination so I thought I would ask here. I should be getting my rifle this week, and then its getting shipped to Doug.

The only changes I am going to make is a big loop lever from wild west, and maybe one of there triggers.

What do you recomend for sights, I think I want to stay with irons, I don't see shots more than 100 yards. I'm out of the lever action loop please fill me in!

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I've got a turnbull 50 alaskan on a marlin cowboy. They do great work there. I've never considered the 470 because it was not around when I had mine done. I use a williams foolproof or 5d on my leverguns. They allow precision shooting and do not ruin the balance of the gun.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up on the foolproof sights buckeyeshooter, that 50 Alaskan is an impressive cartridge, it gets the job done. I can't believe that no one on AR owns a .470 Turnbull, I'll have to do a range report in Jan. when mine gets delivered.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I'll look foward to it!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put the XS Ghost Ring sight on my Winchester. Im very happy with them. They are quick to sight, offer a longer sight radius, rugged dependable and dont get in the way. They made a new gun out of the old 94.

Posts: 141 | Location: FL to WV | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doubledown

Excellent choices so far..... I have the 1895GG
still in 45-70. I did make the following changes.
Wild West, Large loop lever, Wild West trigger and one piece extractor. Trigger break is excellent and pull went down from 8-9 lbs. to 4 lbs. Just right.
I also have the Williams rear sight and with the apterture removed, it becomes a ghost ring. Will work either way But the XS Ghost Ring is better and more durable for rough handling.
I have no experience with the 470 Turnbull but since I found the 350 grain North Fork in .458 for the 45-70, IMHO there is nothing in North America this rig won't take, It drops 450lb. hogs in their tracks.
Hope this helps some.
Good Hunting and Good shooting.

Tetonka
DRSS (450/400 NE 3 in.0
BigBore Bolt Trash (416 Rigby)
and
Big Bore Levers (45-70)

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian Pearce did a write up on a 470 Turnbull conversion in Rifle or Handloader magazine a couple of years ago. Lots of info there. I would start with an 1895 Cowboy, have it rebored and cut back to 20 or 22 inches or so. Add an XS or williams rear peap and you would have my idea of ideal.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tetonka, I also got the one piece extractor, and I think I will be following in your footsteps with the xs sights. I'm glad to hear your happy with the WW trigger! I'm very excited to get this rig back and run it through its paces. This time next month It should be back from Turnbull, I picked up a hundred pieces of brass and one hundred of those 350 grain barnes tsx hollowpoints, they look like ashtrays! I can't wait to take this thing hog hunting!

Colorado Matt, thanks for the heads up on the Brian Pearse story, I checked it out, good write up and they had some good reloading data.

When I get it back I will post a range report, thanks again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
just watched a show on tv where a guy used one to take a cape buffalo and him and the guide were very impressed.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doubledown,
Just found a new sight system which I plan to try on my 1895 GG. From Skinner Sights in
St. Ignatius, Mt. (www.skinnersights.com) They have a guide gun set which includes the front sight blade. All for under $100 --- Much sleeker than the old Lyman and won't catch on things like the Lyman style (Williams is the same) Also, if you are interested Wild West Guns just came out with a magazine tube rail mount that will take one of the Surefire (model X400) combo
flashlight/laser units, really cool. Saw one at the recent Dallas Safari show. I'm trying
to slim down my GG and make it more friendly for night hunting as it seems my hogs have gone
nocturnal. I'll be mounting the Wild West rail and Surefire light system this weekend.

Good hunting and good shooting

Tetonka

DRSS
Lever 45-70 club
Bolt Trash member as well (big bore)

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still waiting to do a range report, it has taken a little bit longer than I expected...should have it any week now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
it has taken a little bit longer than I expected

WOW...I'll say...8 months longer!!! What's that all about?

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote