New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aging LEVERevolution ammo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any truth to the reports of aging tips getting hard enough to ignite a primer during recoil?

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
easy to find out, call hornady and ask them!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not talked to Hornady BUT I have 3 shells in 45-70 which were left in my 1895 Marlin GG magazine for 2 years. (Under the pressure of the magazine spring and bouncing around in the behind the seat of my pickup) The tips have become "rock hard" and indented the primers of the shell ahead in the magazine. None of the shells went off but the primer indentations are quite deep. I deem this ammo unsafe to carry in the magazine and suggest you test all tips of older ammo for flexibility OR only shoot them single shot if you have old ammo.
Just my experience.

I'm keeping the dented primer ammo as proof of a problem but will not send it to Hornady. They might conveiently lose them.

Safety First, be careful with old ammo.

Tetonka

DRSS 450/400 NE 3 in.
Big Bore Bolt Trash 416 Rigby
Band of Lever Bubbas 45/70

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Tetonka:

By saying that you won't send evidence of a possibly dangerous ammunition problem to the manufacturer because he "might conveniently lose them", you're not-so-subtly condemning the manufacturer without giving him a chance to respond. Further, since the flex-tip is a relatively new technology and there may be long-term problems that haven't yet arisen, you're doing other shooters a disservice by not notifying the manufacturer so he can correct the problem, if it exists.

I've returned ammunition to various manufacturers in the past and have always received a response directed to the issue raised. I'm going to check my flex-tip ammo--as I expect others reading your posting will do--but it would be a good idea to let Hornady know of your experience so future shooters might not have to do so.

Dave Manson

Posts: 697 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Dave on this one...I would not want to think that my inaction possibly caused someone a loss of limb, or life.

Posts: 1668 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Think about this...

Has there ever been anything made of "plastic", that did not get hard or brittle with age???

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
after reading this I went and looked at some 45/70 flex tip ammo I have had since it first cam out and there is 14 rounds left in the box and all of them are noticably harder than the new 308 Marlin express rounds I have... But I shoot theas in a single shot any way but just glad to know not to give any one that ammo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience with the Hornady people, both Joyce and Steve, and the other people I've met in the company over the years TOTALLY belies any notion they are the kind of outfit that would "conveniently lose" anything that might indicate there could be a safety issue with one of their products. If anyone has EVIDENCE to the contrary...I would appreciate hearing it. On the topic of these bullets, I've seen this reference to hardening tips a couple of times on this forum...thus far nobody has posted a report of their contact with the company, and the company's response. I hope someone who is legitimately interested will do so, and put an end to conjecture and innuendo. For myself, although I am a confirmed "lever-gun fan" with several in my safe that I enjoy..I have ZERO interest in the product being discussed. Zero experience with them either new, or "aged". I'm posting this because it's time (IMHO) for someone who DOES HAVE a dog in this hunt (so to speak)...to make an effort to secure a response from Hornady, get some FACTS and stop the BS opinions. There MIGHT be something to this, and it is the pinnacle of irresponsibility to believe you might have EVIDENCE of a problem, that you believe in your own mind, and FAIL TO ACT.

Sorry for the rant. Thanks for listening.

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send 'em in with a letter containing all of the details. You could also phone them first to tell them they are comming. I feel your concerns are unwaranted but if you're still worried send them registered mail so you have a record of them being received. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote