THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Win M88/M100 magazine differences?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win M88/M100 magazine differences?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm almost afraid to post this and wind up in a pissing match Frowner....but here goes. I have a 5 digit serial numbered M88 in 358, and I just aquired a magazine marked M100 on the follower. The follower looks a bit different than the follower on my two M88 mags.

Can anyone tell me the difference between them? Is it that the M100 mag has a bolt hold open feature where the M88 does not? I haven't tried it yet, and before I do I thought I'd ask here. With the cost of M88 mags, I would like to use this one as I got it for free.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern Michigan, USA | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m stevenson:
I'm almost afraid to post this and wind up in a pissing match Frowner....but here goes. I have a 5 digit serial numbered M88 in 358, and I just aquired a magazine marked M100 on the follower. The follower looks a bit different than the follower on my two M88 mags.

Can anyone tell me the difference between them? Is it that the M100 mag has a bolt hold open feature where the M88 does not? I haven't tried it yet, and before I do I thought I'd ask here. With the cost of M88 mags, I would like to use this one as I got it for free.

Yes, the follower is the only thing that's different. Model 88 magazines can be used in Model 100s and vice-versa. The bolt hold open is aggravating when using a Model 100 magazine in the Model 88.

Twin Pines Armory/Wisner is manufacturing replacement magazines for both rifles, so I'm not sure what your hangup on cost is exactly. Magazines for the .243/.308.358 Model 88s are $37.54 from Brownell's, part number 895-100-088. New magazines for the Browning BLR retail for $55.

Posts: 475 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
---The follower looks a bit different than the follower on my two M88 mags.

Can anyone tell me the difference between them? Is it that the M100 mag has a bolt hold open feature where the M88 does not?---

I've got one M100 mag for my M88/308w, and it works fine. But you can't close the lever with an empty magazine attached. Except that, no problems.

Fritz

The true and only Fritz Kraut

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
m stevenson---a pissing match on here? Nah. BTW what are you doing posting about a semi auto on the lever gun section? I'm sure Just Some Gay can explain it.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just Some Guy, would you mind providing a link to the manufacturer of the new magazines please?
I was not aware that anyone was making new mags for the M88/ M100. The only ones I've seen have been on auction sites and gunshows, starting around $70, that was my reason for posting that they were expensive.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern Michigan, USA | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought my last one from Brownell's.

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on finding a nice 358. I have a pair of pre-64 88's, one is a 308 and the other is a 284. They're fine rifles.

The previous posts about the bolt hold back cut on the magazine follower are correct. I've also heard that 358 magazines were slightly different than those used for the 243 and 308. I believe the follower is slightly different to deal with the fatter bullet.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Wisner mags

brownells win 100 mags.

Both sites list 46.95.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, and I appreciate the links neverflinch.
Johnly, I would like to take the credit for buying this 358, but that honor goes to my dad, who bought this one in '56 I believe.

It is my most cherished possession, the last gun I would ever sell.
Mark

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neverflinch:
Wisner mags

brownells win 100 mags.

Both sites list 46.95.
Uh, no they don't. Brownell's dealer price -- which they extend to anyone with an FFL, C&R, sales tax certificate, etc. -- has Model 88 magazines listed for $37.54

homer

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lazarus:
quote:
Wisner mags

brownells win 100 mags.

Both sites list 46.95.
Uh, no they don't. Brownell's dealer price -- which they extend to anyone with an FFL, C&R, sales tax certificate, etc. -- has Model 88 magazines listed for $37.54

homer

Uh, yea they do dipshit. Did he say he had an FFL????? No, so the price is 46.95. Or perhaps you don't know how to read? I tell you what.......click on both of the links supplied above and tell me what the price says. What's the matter just some gay.......had to get a new user name??? What an idiot.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lazarus:
quote:
Wisner mags

brownells win 100 mags.

Both sites list 46.95.

homer
Uh, yea[sic] they do dipshit. Did he say he had an FFL????? No, so the price is 46.95. Or perhaps you don't know how to read? I tell you what.......click on both of the links supplied above and tell me what the price says. What's the matter just some gay.......had to get a new user name??? What an idiot.
Uh, Brownell's doesn't require an FFL in order to get the dealer discount. Dipshit. Can't you read Brownell's website? What an idiot.

homer

posted Hide Post
I am new to this forum and hope the name calling is just random and not the norm.

Here is a photo of Winchester .243/.308 #88 & #100 mags together, showing the angled and squared followers of both.

The links posted in the above threads did not show any .358 Winchester mags, just .243/.308 and .284. Original .358 Winchester mags for the Winchester #88 & #100 firearms go for $150.00 on e-Bay.

This photo shows a front view of two #88 mags. The one on the left is an original .358 Win. magazine, the right one is a .243/.308. Note the longer follower ledge and scalloped front of the box metal on the .358 version. The heavier bullets of the .358 cartridge caused the rounds to nosedive as they were fed, and catch on the front of the mag. The ledge in the follower kept the cartridge straighter as it was fed toward the chamber, and the scalloped front allowed the nose of the cartridge to feed into the chamber.

posted Hide Post
First I have a question to M Stevenson. Does your original 358 magazine have any caliber stamping on it?

For the rest of you, he is talking about a 358 here, totally different than a standard 308.

Now for the rest of the story. We at Wisner's Inc own the Winchester 88 & 100 tooling and are the only manufacturer of these magazines. We only make the 243/308 & 284s. The 308s will not function reliably in a 358.

Recently I had the opportunity to closely examine an original 358 rifle & magazine. There were many factory modifications made to the 308 to utilize it in the 358 firearm. I describe them on this page of our website. http://www.wisnersinc.com/additionalinfo/winchesterl_88_100.htm

ASS-U-ME just makes an ASS out of U and ME

Posts: 26 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The original .358 magazine I have in the above photo does not have a caliber stamp on the mag body. It appears to have been stamped out.

posted Hide Post
CBH, Can you send me a closeup digital of the front showing the stamped out markings. What is the approx serial number of the gun?

We have been toying with the idea of actually tooling up to make some of these. With actual 358 markings, a new steel follower duplicating the original but the riveted in spring. Head scratching on what extra tooling & how to go about it. Don't hold your breath though.

ASS-U-ME just makes an ASS out of U and ME

Posts: 26 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sir, if you can wait until Monday, one of my children is getting a Nikon digital camera for Christmas. I will take some close-ups of the .358 magazine for you. My #88 rifle is a .308, serial number gives it a DOB of 1960, this magazine was a spare I got with the rifle.

posted Hide Post
Gunacologist, could you email me please? This concerns the .358 magazine. Thanks.
cbh@varminthunters.com