New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Marlin
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just picked up another Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. It is the old Micro-Groove and I know there are concerns regarding this barrel. Is there a way of loading them with heavy bullets for short range bear or deer or pigs?
Would I be better served to rebarrel?
Anyone able to share some favorite loads with 250, 275 or 300 grain .35 cal bullets.
Thanks,
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd certainly give heavies a try before I rebarreled. The Marlin is a pretty strong action and while some say micro-grove is no good for cast bullet, I've seen no such problems in mine. Perhaps the poor results were from using pistol bullets. I get such good results from 180 and 200 grain bullets I don't feel the need for heavier and thus no load data on those. Here are my best two loads to date: 180 grain Speer FP over 39.5 grain IMR-4064 and 200 jacketed I use 39.0 of the same powder. I have not yet developed a good cast load yet but it looks like IMR-3031 or Re7 will be the winner. Good luck on your new project.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. I believe in Elmer Keith's ideas that heavy for caliber bullets tend to anchor game more often than light and fast and at short distances it seems like a good plan.
I will try some of the light loads though for fun and maybe for deer.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand and generally perfer heavy too. The Marlin has a 1 in 16" twist may not stabilize bullets over 250 grain very well. I've heard good things about the Speer 220 grain in the Remington though and may get you part way there. My own project is to rebarrel a Winchester 94 to .38-55 for shooting heavy lead. It's a late 70's vintage with a crappy barrel that barely shoot minute of barn door and copper fouls like a demon. Numerich will have the barrels available sometime this month and I'm just waiting on it to procede.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of .35 Rems (not Marlins) and have owned and own a couple of rifles with Microgroove barrels.

Cast bullets will generally work well in MG barrels when .001" over groove diameter and cast "hard". That is harder than swaged mass produced pistol bullets. I've had good success in two such rifles and of course the .22 rimfires have MG rifling...

I believe that the .35 Rem is short on capacity to move bullets heavier than 220 gr. at usable velocities. The twist seems to be 1-16" standard and may not stabilize heavier bullets. The heaviest I've used is the 220 gr. Speer FP and I think that many can move the 220 at just 2000 fps. That's faster than the factory ammo in my rifles. However, the 200 gr. RN at 2100-2200 will do it all without complications and is accurate in all my rifles.

I'd like to hear more about your rifle and hunting. Please post a followup.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of flylo
posted Hide Post
No other calibers on sale.

Posts: 707 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: 20 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
worth a try thanks.
I think I am getting hooked on these leveractions.
Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks McB. The extra oomph os always a good thing. I havn't tried Buffalo Bore but that velocity is certainly worth looking at.
Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank, Buffalo Bore http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#35rem offers a 35 Remington 220 @ 2200 fps if you are looking for a little extra oomph. Good hunting! McB

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are right that is a great price. Did they happen to have any of the other calibers in the 336?
Frank