New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win. 94 collector question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 94 Win. It has the older checkered hammer, not striated, and the tang is without the Winchester logo..The rifles serial number shows production from 1943 to 1948.

My question is when did Win. not stamp the frames tang, and when did they discontinue the checkered in a square hammers and go to the straight cross cut hammer..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your Model 94 is the flat band type. I have found that the Pre War model 94's would be marked on the tang. The same would apply with the checkered hammer. This transition did not occur at once. For example I have a late flat band style 94 with the checked hammer, and one made before that has the later style. I have not seen a Post war flat band style with the tang marked, but I suppose an early one could be so marked.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bo, that explains a lot. It had me confused and wondering if someone had changed out the hammer, but this gun shows no removal of any of its screws..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote