THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    anyone have a Wild West trigger on a marlin 336
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone have a Wild West trigger on a marlin 336
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an as new 336a that my gunsmith can not get a decent trigger on. Midway has wild west triggers that they clain will get a crisp 2-3 pound pull for $79.99

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a 336, but I put one on my Guide Gun. Big improvement in my view. I also replaced the extractor with the Wild West version.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto Jim's experience. I have the WWG trigger on my 1895CB which, of course, has the same action as the 336. You don't get very much metal for your $79.95 but it DOES work great. Pull is now a consistent 2.7 lb. with a nice clean break.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I've installed two for customers.
Both worked as advertized but one had to be stoned down on the sides to get it to fit.

I've done litterally a couple of hundered trigger jobs on Marlins, what problem is your 'smith having? The only reason I installed the ones I did was both customers brought me the gun and the trigger unit and basically said, "Here, install this please."

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He thinks he can't safely get it below about 5# pull..It took me 5 years to find the gun & it does about 1.5" with walmark federals & 3" with my handloads.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I set them up for dedicated cowboy shooters with 1.5# as a custom item for trusted customers and 2-2.25 pounds for those that have been shooting a while and around 3# for the cowboy shooters that are brand new. If you get much less than 20 oz they start developing hammer follow when the bolt slams shut. (At 3-4 rounds per second in a lever gun, yes, the bolt is slamming shut.) I've been running a 22 oz trigger for 7 years. The Marlin trigger is very easy to make any poundage your heart desires and keep it safe so it won't "bounce off". Its a great design.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WWG makes a great trigger -- my smith had it installed in my 1895 cowboy in minutes, it eliminates any "flop" and it has a nice, light, crisp pull.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put one in my 50AK GG along with a lighter spring kit and it made a WORLD of difference. I'm no fan of WW Guns "customer service", but admit this is money well spent. The trigger is honestly crisper than any of my bolt or double guns. My RWS air rifle is the only one that's better.

The only issue I had was that it has a Dave Clay medium-sized lever loop (for gloves) and it does move the trigger position slightly rearward (that's how it take up the slack). I had to give the lever a few strokes with a file to get enough clearance, maybe 1/32". It's a stainless gun so didn't matter, but might if you have a blued nonfactory lever. Great stuff though and I only wished I'd done it sooner.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote