Find
Notify
Tools

.32-20 loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Well, the weather here has been absolute s**t and looks to continue this way into April, so I haven't been out shooting yet. But I have a new set of Precision Gun Works stocks to fit to the Model 53 Winchester, and I just made up some loads using some old, black Remington 98-grain lead RN bullets over 3.4 of Red Dot, and some 100-grain Hornady XTPs over 13 grains of H-110, so we'll see how the old pea-shooter does pretty soon here. Everyone seems to be low or out of brass right now, but I managed to find a stash of 50 virgin Western cases at a local shop and also had about 20 Starline cases on hand. This seems to be a very easy cartridge to load, but range time will tell. I was going to try IMR 4227 under that Hornady pill, but am out. I'll sub the H-4227, as I have heard these two powders are hard to beat for accuracy in the .32-20.
Also have a new Lyman 311008 mold on hand, so will cast up some of those neat little 115-grain slugs too.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My best performing powders to date in the 32-20 hava been Blue Dot, IMR 4227, and Unique, in that order. It' a very enjoyable round to work with.

Posts: 126 | Location: nothern ca | Registered: 29 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
What's a good Blue Dot load?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My most accurate load to date of any powder I have tried is 6.8 grains of blue dot, Starline brass, Win small rifle primer, and a 118 grain Bear Creek Supply moly coated cast bullet. Velocity is 1400 fps from a 22 in. barreled Marlin 94.

Posts: 126 | Location: nothern ca | Registered: 29 August 2010Reply With Quote