THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Need help re Marlin and Winchester
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help re Marlin and Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

I'm trying to educate myself on these two rifles and in particular the 336 and 94 iterations. Though I am putting together an all conditions 375 on a M70 I'd like to look for a good little deer woods carbine and was thinking about either the 30-30 or the 35 rem cartridge.

A buddy told me to look for a 336 with Ballard rifling though I can't say I know what that is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
marlin has offered rifles in ballard style rifling and 'microgroove' rifling. There are some that say ballard rifling is more accurate with cast bullets. It makes no difference in the rifles I have, both styles of rifling are accurate with anything I choose to shoot.
Today, the most important consideration in purchasing a marlin is to be positive you do not buy one of the 'transition' rifles. Freedom group bought marlin, closed the plant and sent the machinery to the Illion remington plant. Many of the new guns have 'issues'.
Buy a used or new old stock gun. Look for North Haven on the barrel and a JM proof mark. My advice would be to especially avoid marlins with the fist two letters of the serial number being 91. These have had reciever barrel issues on many models where the barrel is not on straight.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote