THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    A grab bag - M1886, 475 Turnbull, tang sights & cast bullets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A grab bag - M1886, 475 Turnbull, tang sights & cast bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a friend who will be receiving from Doug Turnbull in a few weeks a USRAC/Winchester M1886 takedown rifle in 475 Turnbull. I am delaying making a decision on having mine converted until I take a look at what his 475 does.

Can 475 Turnbull brass be made by fire forming Winchester 348 WCF brass -- that is, will case be correctly dimensioned rather than shorter than it should be?
I am aware of three methods to enhance the ability of hard cast bullets to have controlled expansion: Veral's method of casting-welding a hard base to a soft precast nose; hollow pointing; and differentially heat treating a homogenous bullet to have softer nose.

Among the methods to obtain controlled expansion from hard cast bullets, does one method stand above the others? Is there a reliable method I omitted?
Were the USRAC/Winchester M1886 firing mechanism to be converted to non-rebounding hammer, without tang safety, and with one-piece firing pin, would hammer down on loaded chamber be safe? Is the firing pin an inertia one like the M1911 pistol?
I've never seen a tang sight on a traditional lever action actually used. Would a tang sight for a M1886 be hit by the rear of the breech bolt during the reloading cycle? Would heavy recoil cause the tang sight to hit my spectacles?
Who bead blasts and electroless nickels springs? The company I used to use for the service is no longer in business.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure that you can make the brass from fire forming. I have had a number of cases that were 348 strethed and have had 3 seperate, so I owuld suggest against it. 50-110 brass shortend works great or I have starline brass available in about 30 days that is head stamped correct.

We found that BLC-2 powder works very well with the lead bullets and am getting the velocity needed too.

We do also do a conversion of the fireing pin and weld the rebound on hte FP solid so there is better transfer of the hammer strike.

Not to up on the lead bullet issues, sorry.

Marbles makes a tang sight that works well, needs a hole drilled in the top tang and amkes the safty difficult to work.

I tend to use more than enough gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Turnbull:

Many thanks for your reply. Jimmy (in Darby) had his knee surgery last Friday. He should be home Sunday (today). Both of us await his 475 eagerly. I'm guessing it will arrive just about when he is sufficiently ambulatory to shoot it.

Will Starline 475 brass become a regular product for Starline?

Marble's tang sight will not hit me in the eye, or get knocked out of zero by bolt impact?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At this time it will be available only from Turnbull. Down the road we will see. The tang sight will not hit your eye or get knocked off zero as tghe bolt does not hit it at all. The BArnes bullets will only be through us too. I am working with Cor-Bon to load ammo, so you will be able to get through them direct or from some of there dealers.

I tend to use more than enough gun.