THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Barnes Buster bullets, anybody tried them yet?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes Buster bullets, anybody tried them yet?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just wondered if anbody had tried them yet, in their .45-70s.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nope, they look good, but just too expensive

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it a hollow point withna lead core from the back or basicly a TSX plus lead in the back? If so that is how they keep the oal shorter and the weight higher. I had looked into doing something like that for the 475 to reduce the oal length of a finished bullet. If so they should work really great as the petals won't fall off but you gain some case capacity for more powder. Could gain about 100 FPS in doing this.

I tend to use more than enough gun.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The buster that I have seen, 300 grain 44 mag are about the same as the original exept there is no exposed lead out front. A very heavy jacket, hard lead core, and closed nose. They are made to penetrate and nothing else. Should be great for anyone carrying a handgun in bear country. Or for straight thru penetration with a 45-70. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted fries
posted Hide Post
40gr rl-7//mag primer//win 458 wm case//cz 550 rifle == 1 raged hole at 50 yds

havnt tryed em in 45/70 yet tho.......expensive tho and im not sure that the rem 405 ers arnt just as good as they expand very well in thick bodies and buck thru bone and brush well enough.

----------------------------------
when all is said and done...more will be said then done

Posts: 134 | Location: alaska | Registered: 26 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Ted

What you see above was a penetration test with the Barnes Busters at near the same velocity with different barrel twists. As you can see there was a big difference.

No, the 405 Remingtons are not as good on the thick stuff, they are very soft bullets designed for 1300-1500 fps. Much beyond that they will break up on heavy bone. The Barnes is a tough bullet designed for that sort of thing, but a faster twist is helpful to stabilize during TERMINAL penetration, not just on targets. As for cheap shooting super accurate bullets, the 405 Remington is damn hard to beat, use it at proper velocities for hunting however.

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So are these as good aor better than Alaska Bullet works?

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
These are not expanding bullets! They do not expand.

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am clear that they are non expanding...

but are they better than a "hard & Bonded" expanded bullet like Alaska Bullet works bullets?

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by temmi:
I am clear that they are non expanding...

but are they better than a "hard & Bonded" expanded bullet like Alaska Bullet works bullets?

Better than What? They will penetrate deeper? They won't break apart? I am not sure what you are asking?

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the confusion…
Are they better at bringing down game than a bonded bullet… I understand that a 458 in the heart will do the job regardless… I am just looking for a performance opinion.

I do expect the both will have adequate penetration to bring down a bison… but I could be wrong

So does the Barns Buster offer any real advantage over a bullet like Alaska bullet works or the Barns “.458 400gr Original FN FB”?

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Temmi

That's a hard question to answer. To begin with I am not a big Alaska Bullet fan. I have tried some, and find some inconsistency. Swift, North Forks and the like are excellent premium bullets. Depending on velocity and game to be hunted there are many good choices. Most of the time I would rather have a good premium up front, followed by good solids.

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks I have never tried Alaska BW... I will look at the bullets you suggested...