Find
Notify
Tools

.17 HMR Ammo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted
I have read a few articles and posts on other sites that claim all US made .17 HMR ammunition is made in the same factory by CCI. If that is true, why is there such a variation in observed accuracy in shooting the different brands? I did some range testing yesterday with my two .17 HMR rifles - one is an Anschutz 1517D and the other a Cooper classic. I had ammo in 17 gr and 20 gr bullet weights from Hornady, CCI, Federal, Remington and Winchester. While both rifles shot all of the ammo reasonably well, both exhibited definite preferences. The Anschutz shot the Remington 17 gr ammo best - a 0.7 inch 4 shot group at 100 yards, and the Cooper shot the CCI 17 gr ammo into 0.59" for a 4 shot group at 100 yards. The Cooper also shot the CCI 20 gr FMJ rounds into 0.61". Everything else was pretty much MOA with the Winchester ammo shooting about 1.1 inch groups in both rifles.
So, if all of this ammunition is made in the same factory, why the difference in accuracy among the brands????

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've wondered about that too. Perhaps there's a slight difference in components? Powder amounts or type? Bullet shape?

But maybe CCI doesn't manufacture all .17 HMR ammo any longer.

For example, I know for sure (because I contacted CCI several months ago to ask specifically) that they no longer make Winchester ammo, which Winchester now loads in-house.

But I don't know if CCI continues to manufacture the other, non-CCI ammo.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
different bullets

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most rimfire shooters will tell you once you find a particular ammo your rifle likes that you should find the same lot number and stock up.
Different lots equal different results even if they are made at the same factory.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6611 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done some checking on this... CCI makes and private labels everybody's ammo except Winchester. As a long time gun writer I know a lot of people in the industry and this is right out of CZ.

There are minor changes in components in the different brands and loads.

I've done a lot of shooting with my custom CZ 452 (most of it before it got a new stock) and you really need to try just about everything. Mine shoots best with either Winchester or CCI with the 20 gr. Game Point bullets. Trust me, this has nothing to do with your gun. Ya jist gotta try everything.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
B.L. O'Conner,

I seem to remember that Jack O'Conner had a son named Brad.

That you?

Dick Wright

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Wright:
B.L. O'Conner,

I seem to remember that Jack O'Conner had a son named Brad.

That you?

No . . . but I was a huge fan of his when I was growing up. In fact, I still have the pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight in .270 that I bought because of him. I cut lawns all summer for that rifle and it still shoots right at 1 MOA.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did the same thing and for the same reason. Years ago I hunted out West every year and I had two pre-64 M-70 featherweights. Both were a little beat and both shot very well. I never tried to make a custom of either because I didn't want to spend the time and money and have a horse roll over on one of them.

That was years ago. Both the .270's are gone... sold for about 1/3 what they're worth now. I'm now way too old to even think about running up mountains chasing elks.

Dick Wright