Find
Notify
Tools

Excided
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted
With 22lr ammo in short supply and seemly no end in sight I decided I need some thing different for squirrels.
22mag ammo is causing the shelves in Dunham's sporting goods to sag along with a couple local gun shops. Picked up a Savage 93 Sunday, don't have the mounts for a scope yet but does have iron sights which should do for a little bit.
Over all the rifle is Spartan nothing fancy not the greatest fit and finish but bolt functions smooth and easy as well as the safety.
Of course the used Ruger 77 22 mag MKII was nicer but Used was priced twice the price of the Savage 93. With the 25.00 rim fire rebate it cost less than $200.00 to bring home.
Looks like the squirrels are going to be in trouble with this rifle. Going to give it a good cleaning today and then see how well it will shoot with open sights.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Excitement was short lived, I had thought my 68 year old eye would be able to shoot the iron sights on this rifle. Just didn't work for me so I needed scope mount bases which were a royal pain to get as all the listings for a 93F were for heavy barrel. An Email sent to savage for a correct mount number got a Email back that it didn't require mounts as it had a grooved receiver. After I sent pictures of the rounded receiver and asked for where I should look for the grooves I got a reply to send my address and they would send mounts.
By the time the mounts arrived fire arm deer season was about ready to start. Then it was Muzzle loader season and the Christmas season.
Have now finally got out to shoot the rifle, found a chart on bullet drop for the popular bullets one can buy for the rifle which has helped me learn it.
Yesterday holding on the tip of a fox squirrel ear at 80 yards took the head off. Feeding is a bit on the ruff side but as long as you are not gentile with the bolt it works OK.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote