New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anschutz problem :(
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is not a pretty story, but am looking for answers, or sympathy.

I bought a "new in the box" Anschutz 1720 (22 mag) about six weeks ago.
I leaned this gun against a wall in my den to grab a scope to mount on it.
The gun slid and tipped over on to the carpeted floor.
To my astonishment, the stock broke into two pieces. It broke at the wrist.
Again this is a new in the box gun.
It appeared to me that the wood grain through the wrist was flawed in that it is perpendicular to the wrist, instead of flowing through it.
I have had several other people look at it, including a highly competent stock maker/gunsmith who posts here occaisonally. He said that the grain is completely the issue and that there was virtually no strength in this part of the stock.
I have talked to Anschutz in Germany on e mail twice, telling them in detail what happened. Their response was "please understand. we can not cover this." I have offered to send pictures or the stock to Germany, their response was the same. They baiscally have blown me off and don't want to even consider the issues,
I am really appalled that the manufacturer of higher end firearms would take s stance like this.
By the way, I have three other Anschutz rifles.
Any thoughts?

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
Well how about the dealer that sold you the rifle?

I can somewhat understand how they might be a bit incredulous that all that happened was what you describe. But if your dealer sees it and contacts them it might have more credibility. It would be better if they would attempt to make it good of course.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Esldude.

Anschutz think their the top of the heap, but the worst rifle I've ever owned was by them and I couldn't believe they'd have their name on it.

The retailer didn't have to replace the stock, just the rest of it. Smiler The rest of it was nearly as bad so I sold it, and felt ashamed doing it.

Their wood on the MPR and such, isn't even walnut and should be on a kids air rifle. (New cheap action too.)

Bye the bye, The best .22 I ever had was an Anschutz also. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if anchutz won't do anything about it (which would be a surprise) it is repairable, drill a hole going both ways (about 3/8"-1/2" and bury a steel rod in accraglass

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K9 Bandit
posted Hide Post
I always found helpful people when I contacted Anschutz for an old semi auto 520 in need of parts many years ago.

"capturing bin Laden is not a top priority use of American resources"
Bush, September 06

"Those weapons of mass destruction have got to be here somewhere."
"Maybe under here?"
Bush, March 04

Posts: 1025 | Location: Jacksonville | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote