Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a new scope..
 Login/Join

posted
I need a scope for a Marlin .22 any suggestions?

Posts: 14 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may get more replies if you say what you are going to use the rifle for.
Popping a few bunnies/tin cans? any reasonable sized scope will do, even an inexpensive fixed power about 3or 4x.

Target type shooting, some events (here)limit to 6x, but can be set on 6x on a veriable.
Also esp. for accurate shooting an adjustable objective is very handy, but in any case try and get a scope that is set for .22rf ranges.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Cans, squirrel's, bunnie's, just about anything to hunt or plink with will do. Nothing too expensive, but not cheesy either. Thank's for the reply's.

Posts: 14 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Usually I use nothing but top quality scopes on my rifles, and have several .22's equipped with Compact, Rimfire. and EFR model Leupolds. However, any decent 4x scope is fine for your use. I put a little 4x Chinese scope made for the SKS on a Marlin 99 and it works like a charm -- all $17 worth of it.

The problem is that most inexpensive scopes are made in a variable power, which makes them generally worthless trash (the variable mechanism typically won't hold zero and the optics are fuzzy). On the other hand, almost anyone's fixed 4x is serviceable and a much better choice for a .22 RF. A used Weaver 2.5 or 3x also makes a nice .22 scope.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
While some may think it's ludicrous, I firmly believe in using good glass -- even on a rimfire. You don't have to spend a fortune, either, especially if you check out some used scopes.

The fixed power Weavers, Leupolds, Burris FFIIs, the Elite 3200 series from Bushnell and the BuckMasters series from Nikon are all fairly affordable and should provide you with years of service -- not to mention quality you won't get in a cheapie 4x15 that Wal-mart sells.

With that being said, I also have a couple of older 4x40 Tasco scopes (made in Japan) that offer surprisingly sharp images, transmit plenty of light and have been quite durable over the years. (The later Tasco stuff -- well, I won't go there...)

Also, certain models are designated "rimfire," and that simply means the parallax is set at shorter distances, usually 50 or 60 yards. I've never had problems with conventional scopes, but if you are concerned, most manufacturers will change the parallax-corrected range for little or no charge.

My most-used and favorite rimfires include a heavy-barreled Ruger 10-22, an older-production Marlin Original 39A and a battered Marlin 25MN (.22 Magnum).

The Ruger currently wears a Nikon pre-Monarch 3-9x40, the 39A a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x32 and the .22 Mag. a Weaver V10 2.5-10x50. All 3 get heavy use in the field and are toted around the farm, often being rattled around on the seat of a pickup. But they all hold zero and make target acquisition easy with their good optics. The cheaper scopes, particularly the variables, often don't do well under such torment.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might even look at a Red Dot system. Their a lot of fun and quite accurate.

Posts: 139 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old beater camp .22 (Rem bolt action) that wears an older Weaver V-9 that came off a deer rifle when I upgraded to Leupold. It has an AO and is great. My Ruger 77-22 wears a Leupold 2X7 that I have reset the parallax to 40 yds. It is a squirrel killing machine out to 50 yds. I have a Leupold 4x rimfire model that came off the Ruger--it's sitting in my safe.

My recommendation: A used Leupold 2X7 or 2.5X8, even if you have to have the scope refocused to fix the parallax problem.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with the Bushnell Banner fixed 4x rimfire scope. It has a 1" straight tube (no front bell/objective). It is parallax set @ 50 yards. It's bright as can be, with very crisp optics, and has a sharp plex reticle. It's a quality scope. You can find them for ~$50. I'm 100% satisfied with it for a tote-in-the-woods-take-it-for-a-walk .22 rifle outfit. It's either on my Rem 540x or Win 320.

I don't want more power squirrel hunting, and it's plenty powerful for any game shooting to 100 yards.

one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
That Bushnell Banner 4x Rimfire for cheap.

Nikon Prostaff 4x for something like $85-90.

Weaver 4x or 2-7x for something like $120 or $140.

Sightron SI 3-9x Rimfire on sale for $109 at Midway USA
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=147249

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm very happy with the Leupold 4x RF special. Yeah, it costs as much or more than the rifles it rides on but it's never let me down. I'd be willing to try the Weaver rimfire scopes if I needed another.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nikon Prostaff 4x has worked out well for my son's Marlin.

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote