New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifling in old Mossberg 22?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an old Mossberg 340 bolt 22. Had it a while, haven't shot it much. Accuracy is only fair. I decided to give it a good cleaning for the first time. Looking into the bore, the rifling looks awfully thin. It is stamped accro-groove rifling. Is accr=groove a very thin rifling system or do I perhaps have a shot out barrel? Bob

Posts: 1283 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless it's had some unusual bore damage, I doubt it would be possible to shoot out a .22 barrel under normal circumstances.

Those old Mossbergs have a reputation for being shooters - most shot 'way above their class', as it were. I have a hunch a good cleaning is about all it'll need.

I have one that literally spent a summer (circa 1963) underwater in a northern Alberta river....from spring breakup, until I found when the water was low just before freeze up. After a couple of weeks in a pail of diesel fuel (just to get the action open!) and another week of fiddling around, it shoots ragged one-holers to this day. While the outside looks like a moonscape, and the crown looks like it was chewed off by rats, the bore remained shiny..possibly due to a waxy coating from bullet lube (?). I'd probably have tossed it, but it was the first rifle I ever bought with my own money - $35, well spent in about 1959..

Posts: 5742 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Accro-groove rifling is shallow as you describe. Try changing brands of ammo. If you are accuracy testing standard velocity may work better.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote