Find
Notify
Tools

The "AR" .22 LRs
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Are any of the AR lookalikes in .22 RF capable of an inch at 100 with good ammo and glass?
I am seeing a lot of reviews and Youtubes but keep hearing the word "plinker," which I am not interested in.
It doesn't have to be a fully functional AR trainer -- the Tippman seems to get the nod here -- so much as it needs to be an accurate rifle.
I know the little Smith & Wesson is well regarded, but I have not heard of it being super accurate.
Same goes for the Walther/Hämmerli/Umarex.
It could well be that a good chamber and barrel are there, and that the whole problem comes down to the trigger.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Auctor: Gosh, Bill, I'd suggest looking in the AR 22 forum at rimfirecentral.com.
Lector: Hey bro, thanks for the suggestion! beer

– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The two I have tried are not anywhere near the accuracy of my other usual .22's, but that may be a bit unfair- an Anshutz and a Kimber.

They fall in with my Dad's old remington or Gandpa's much used/abused winchester.

OTOH I am probably the only guy I know whao doesn't own a 10/22, so no comparison there.

The best I have gotten is about 2-3" at 50 yards with the AR training gun. More often worse. The triggers are bad, even by AR standards, and while it reliably goes bang, I found I didn't need the high capacity .22 just to run drills. The mags can be a bit delicate as well.

So, my experience is "no."

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thank you, CR. I am reading that they are all over the map -- and that a dedicated .22 LR upper mounted on your lower WITH GOOD TRIGGER can be cause for hope.
As to the various drop-in bolt adapters, I have read that .22 bullets will sometimes keyhole past 30 or so yards in the larger .223 bore and fast twist.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 custom 10/22's. Anybody want some? rotflmo

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1056 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have two of the Black Smith and Wesson ARs in 22 LR. Quite frankly, we just shoot them for fun. That being said, I've never actually tested their accuracy at 100 yards, as we shoot them fairly close up at old vegetables, used shotgun shells, etc. Both of them are 'open sights' with no scopes, etc. Big Grin Sorry, I know that doesn't help answer your question Bill. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Anschutz RX22. It is an ar sort of looking semi-auto. Typical German, overly complicated and a bit heavy. The best it will do is 5/8-3/4" @50 yards. In my experience going from 50y to 100y will more than double your groups with about any .22 lr.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
CG, staying under an inch at 100 is easier said than done, even with a CZ or Tikka with good ammunition.

– John Green, author

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have just finished testing over 100 different types of ammo in a BRNO 452 barreled action mounted in a YOUNG RAIL GUN.

This includes several batches of the well known match ammo from Eley and Lapua.

Very few went under an inch at 100 yards.

I will post my results as I compile then into digital form.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66925 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote