New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 93 INaccuracy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was able to shoot my new Savage 93 quite a bit the other day and was very disappointed. It is the stainless model with the heavy bbl. I was shooting the Hornady 17 grainers and groups were horrible. About 3 1/2 inches at 100yds. Granted the trigger is terrible but surely it would do better than that. Has anyone had the same problem with this ammo? and did any other brand or grain bullet make and improvement. I am going to try the CCIs and heavier Hornady's maybe the Winchester and Remingtons too. But, I suspect that the Remmys are loaded with a Hornady bullet also. Right now the rifle has about 80 rounds thru it. Any similar experiences????

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend had one and shot the cci the best he had problems with the case necks splitting and it would always throw them out of the group when they split. I wonder how good the chamber was.

Posts: 47 | Location: NW Iowa | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have the same gun in a 22mag and it shoots great, .5 inch 5 shot groups at 75 yards are the norm

Location Western NC,,, via alot of other places,
One wife
Two kids
Three Glocks
and a couple cats.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage 93 with thumbhole stock and it will only shoot the CCI 20g FMJ ammo. Will shoot a five shot group into a dime at 100 yards off the bench. I was lucky if I got 3 inch groups at 50 yards with the 17g ammo. Try the CCI 20gr FMJ with a picture of a squirrel on it.

One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
I have a 93/17 BV (blue heavy barrel, lam. stock) that shoots ALL brands and weights at 1" or better at 100 yds. I've been told that it sometimes takes a couple hundred rounds to get good accuracy, but mine grouped under an inch right from the get-go! Seems to like CCI 20 gr. TNT & Gamepoints the best, but shoots all very well. Got some 20 gr. FMJ, but haven't shot them yet; all others great. Keep trying different combinations, I'm sure you will find something it likes. Good Luck.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/
Anything you can think to ask on a rimfire can be found here. We have two 93's and either will do 1/2" groups at a hundred if you do your part. Open up the Savage fourm and look at the top post above the regular fourm and they will tell you in detail what to do to help your trigger pull. We have SSS-triggers in bouth ours one is set a 9 ozs and the other at 12.

Posts: 16 | Location: North East Alabama | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did the trigger job from rimfire central, cleaned it well and put another two boxes thru it. It has begun to shoot respectable groups. I am getting about 3/4 inch groups at 100yds with Hornady and CCI 17 grain stuff. Much better than before.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It took a couple hundred rounds for mine to settle in and start to tighten up afterwards it seemed to shoot better after it dirties up. I have fired every brand of 17 ammunition they make and at different times they all shot well. It will not shoot Hornady until they have been at least 200rds put through it and everything else has gone to pot. I have probably got 2000rds through it by now and it never stops amazing me how great these little guns shoot. I always start out with five rounds of five different loads then I go with what it shoots the best. All around it likes the Remington, but I have had most of my best groups with the Winchester. I can't get any better than 1" groups with any of the 20 grain and have just quit even trying with them. For the most part it won't shoot the TNT’s much better so I just stay with the vmax now. My brothers does quite well with the 20's but both guns have a major shift in POI with them. I know they aren't cheap but if you will try a box of everything you will find something that it really loves. CCI actually loads all the rounds made for the seventeen but must use specs for the loads from each manufacture because My Brother and Myself shoots every Saturday from 2 to 6 hours and they aren't close to being the same loads. Though I do have an occasional misfire with Remington and never have that problem with anything else.
Post Note. I have gone as far as 270rds before it went to crap and then the hornady tighten up to under an inch.......go figure.

Posts: 16 | Location: North East Alabama | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own 2 savage 93s. my older pre accutrigger gun wont shoot anything in 17 grains but will cut holes with any 20 grainers, my New thumbhole savage loves Winchester 17 v-max's and shoots all other vmax's fairly good, however when i tried 20 grain xtps and cci fmj loads the point of impact changed to about 5 inches to the right and about a 4 inch group at 50 yards!!!!!!!!!!its the most accurate rimfire i own with one ammo and the worst with another.

loud pipes save lives

Posts: 100 | Location: New Enterprise PA | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote