New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Mark III Misfires
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a new Ruger III a few months ago but didn’t get around to shooting it until today

I had 4 misfires in 20 rounds. The rims have slight dents but apparently not enough to ignite the powder.

Anyone have this problem with Ruger Mark xxx?

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought 2 Mk III's and so far so good; no problems with either.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1063 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent a online message to Ruger and they want me to phone a Customer Service rep with the serial number and then return it to them.

I’ll let you know how it turns out.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would try different ammo before I sent my pistol back. Some 22 ammo today is junk.......especially Remington IME......

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd give it a good cleaning and make sure it's well lubed. I like a dry silicone lubricant for Ruger's so it won't hold dirt.

Make sure the extractor cut out is clean.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
Thanks. If anything, the pistol may be too well lubed.

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with JTEX, try different kinds of ammo, plus, I would suggest cleaning the chamber. If some of the force of the firing pin is being used to fully seat the round, then that might account for the issue.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a MKIII for a number of years, zero mid fires.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
I sent a online message to Ruger and they want me to phone a Customer Service rep with the serial number and then return it to them.

I’ll let you know how it turns out.

BH63

What happened?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6611 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I’ve been busy with other things (two new rifles).

I took it apart (a real pain), gave it a thorough cleaning, and the next time I took it out only one misfire out of 50 shots. That round fired the second time through.

I’ve shot it once more (about 20 rounds) without issue.

Never did go to the trouble of sending it back to Ruger.

Thanks for asking though.

BH63