one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted
Federal gold-medal 22 caliber cartridges 1080 ft./s
Winchester T 22 long rifle target Rimfire cartridges
Dynamit Nobel (RWS) R50 long rifle cartridges
Eley Bench Rest gold 22 Rimfire Long Rifle
Fioacchi Rimfire rifle V320 Super Match

The above rounds are what I have from recent trip to the local gun store. These are all 22 shells. This is all he had so I bought a brick of each.
I have the following firearms that I wish to shoot:

Browning medalist 22 target pistol
Browning model 52 sporter re-creation
Winchester model 41 target pistol

My question is as follows with all your very elegant knowledge of rimfire ammunition, which ammunition should I use in each of these firearms. Ammunition nomenclature was taken directly from the ammunition boxes.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Shoot a box in each gun, and see for yourself which performs best in that particular gun.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67058 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where did you find Eley Benchrest Gold? I thought that was out of production a few years, now. They are wonderful in my 513T.

Do the Federals have a part number on the box? There were a few different part numbers, some better than others. UM1 and UM2 are top shelf.

The only ones I've shot are the Winchester, the Benchrest Gold, and the Federals. I have some RWS R50, but they are old-ish and I have not shot any of them yet (seems like a significant omission that should be rectified at the next benchrest match).

Saeed is right; every 22 RF will act a little differently. Benchrest guys here shoot multiple lots of the same part number, looking for the perfect match to their rifle.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14392 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
The Eley Benchrest Gold should have the year of manufacture in the lot # code on the box, at least Eley ammo does today. I'm curious what year it was made. Either way, it could still be really good.

RWS seems to be poised to make a comeback in the rimfire benchrest circle (my opinion, I want to try some this year) and the Federal Gold Medal ammo is legendary stuff. Does it have dimples in the head of the cases?

I'd go ahead and shoot a box of each in your guns like suggested, but I'd also be aware the Winchester T22s are a step or two below the rest of your selection. At least they have been in my experience but it could still work well for you- who knows. Because the wax from one ammunition type can affect other rounds while it's still in the bore of your rifle I'd consider cleaning the bore between trying different types. Just depends on how in-depth you want to go.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Winchester model 41 target pistol

Don't you mean S@W model 41

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Evan, that lot number must’ve been on the end flap which I scraped off when I opened the box. Some ELI pistol ammunition that I purchased the same time as a lot number of WN 4007. The lot number is located on the end flap. The nomenclature on the upper box says Federal Gold Medal Target on it.

Some of this ammunition was very expensive per box so other than the Federal Gold Medal Ultra-Match I only purchased one or two boxes. This ammunition and others were purchased at the end of the great ammo disappearance when it came back several months later. As we all know this time it didn’t come back. I therefore have enough supplies to last me at reasonable levels of use.

Interestingly, the owner of the gun store was a champion small-bore silhouette shooter and I think he appreciated the high-level the consistency in 22 ammunition. He has since passed away, but his son still buys premium 22 ammo. Interesting thing is that his customers buy this premium stuff at the current high prices just to have any 22 long rifle.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I haven't been able to shoot that particular Federal ammo yet, so I'm really curious how to does for you. Good luck!

Locally the ammo shortage has been subsiding, but I find it funny how for awhile people were buying base grade bulk ammo for the same prices I've always been paying for top end Eley ammo that has always been available to me too (about $13-15/box). Some probably still are too.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote