THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RIMFIRE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Rim Fire Rifles & Pistols    Bleiker 22F3-F79 In A Young Rail Res - Targets Added!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bleiker 22F3-F79 In A Young Rail Res - Targets Added!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
I thought of starting a separate thread for this rifle.

Found roughly 130 different ammo.

2 x 10 groups at 50 yards
2 x 10 groups at 100 yards.

Once the 50 yards groups are shot, I will sort the final results by group size, smallest aggregate to largest.

I will number them.

I will then shoot the 100 yard groups following this procedure.

Did a trial run at 100 yards, and was most impressed by the results!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Here are a few samples.

First is 50 yards, second is 100 yards.

10 shot groups.

Lapua Center X

0.200. 1.0695

Lapua Standard Plus

0.2285. 0.8285

Eley Tenex Ultimate EPS

0.239. 0.7505

Lapua Center X

0.2835. 1.009

Eley Club Xtra

0.286. 0.8835

Eley Tenex

0.2915. 0.835

RWS High Velocity HP

0.292. 0.808

Eley Match

0.2965. 0.7355

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Very interesting.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Interesting indeed!

Practically all ammo shot well at 50 yards.

Frankly, I am beginning to think that 22 ammo is intrinsically more accurate than normal factory rifles.

This has really opened my eyes to this.

I think anyone interested in finding how accurate his own rifle is, should get every type of ammo he can get hold of.

Shoot it in HIS rifle, and find which one performs best.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Saeed, is the .662 with Lapua HP in the Anschutz still the 100-yard group leader?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Not sure Bill.

Have shot the Bleiker at 100 yet.

The 50 yard groups are much better than either the BRNO or Anschutz.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand, after a bit of research, that Bleiker uses Lilja barrels for its rifles.

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Well, I think I have over 140 different types of ammo to shoot!

Best groups at 100 yards so far are by Eley TENEX.

Single best is 0.442 Tenex

Average of two groups is 0.5565 Tenex.

I will update this if there is any improvement.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I understand, after a bit of research, that Bleiker uses Lilja barrels for its rifles.

Well, I found a fluted, sportier weight stainless, Lilja 22 rim fire barrel in my store.

I also have a 22 rim fire reamer, no idea what version, as there are quite a few around.

I am going to chamber it, and put it on a BRNO action.

Would be an interesting test.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I hope your reamer cuts a good match chamber. Interesting experiment all right.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very, very interesting!

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
It is alright for you all sitting comfortably in your homes while I do all the shooting!

Had a bit of fun the other day with friend's kids.

They love to come and shoot.

They turned up with their parents, ages 8-14.

They came to the workshop, as they always enjoy looking around.

They shoot very well, so I told them I have developed a new style of shooting, that I can actually shoot better than them without having the rifle to my shoulder and looking through the scope.

As you can imagine, there was a bit of confusion - the mother knew what was coming, as I told her before hand what I was going to do, the father did not.

He told the kids here is their chance to beat me at shooting!

The mother said "why don't you join in too" to the father.

He asked if he could compete, and told him he is very welcome.

Off we went to the shooting room.

The father took one look at the YOUNG rest and said "that is CHEATING!"

Mother, laughing her head off said "did you ever imagine HIM not coming up with some trick?"

Anyway, the targets were at 100 yards.

Took a brick of ELEY TENEX, took one box and shot 5 10-shot groups with the BLEIKER in the rest.

Gave each one of them a box from the same lot, told them to pick any of several 22 rim fire rifles there, and shoot.

They did.

No one came anywhere near my shooting.

Rifles they picked ranged from Walther match, BRNO HB, different Anschutz.

They all had fun, and I explained to them the test I am running, and that the BLEIKER out shoots anything else I have.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haha! That's like the huge, heavy rail guns they use in some of those crazy benchrest competitions.

No human can beat a 100 pound machine that requires skill only to build and not to shoot it!

Saeed, you know I would gladly volunteer to help you with the shooting for your experiments, but the travel time and expense would be prohibitive!

Maybe the next time we are in Dubai. Cool

In the meantime, is Walter not available to assist? Big Grin

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
In all my tests, I prefer to do the shooting myself.

It is not too much of a hardship, as the range is in my house, and I can shoot a few rounds anytime I wish.

All the shooting with this rifle is done.

Now I have to measure the targets, someone else will label them.

Someone else will scan them to the computer, and then I have to resize them and arrange them to post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see that Bleiker also sells barreled actions.

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post

Administrator
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That rifle is crazy accurate with ammo it likes, and more than pretty accurate with other ammo. Really interesting test.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
This rifle is probably one of the most accurate 22 rim fire rifles around.

And I think anyone looking for a consistent 1 inch accuracy from a sporter at 100 yards can forget it.

The ammo is not up to it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the twist rate in the standard .22 LR barrel is too slow sufficiently to stabilize 40 grain bullets for 100 yard shooting?

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I have read everything I could find on 22 rim fire and what might make it better.

Everything I have tried has not worked.

It is pot luck with YOUR rifle and the ammo you choose.

Someone suggested the lack of accuracy was caused by unburned powder in the barrel.

And one has to have an air tank and blow air through the barrel every few shots.

I think this was published in magazine years ago.

Bottom line is 22 rim fire ammo is great, for short distances and in a well made rifle.

There are all sorts of people on Youtube claiming otherwise, but I have come to believe nothing if I cannot duplicate it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another possibility?

From Daniel Lilja himself:

22 Rimfire Maintenance

Cleaning Rimfire Barrels

Rimfire rifle barrels are different from centerfire barrels in that they require very little cleaning and essentially no break-in procedure. We have asked several of the top rimfire shooters and gunsmiths that use our barrels about their procedures and based on our own experience, have come up with our recommendation for cleaning.

In a match-grade stainless steel hand-lapped barrel, leading is an almost nonexistent problem. Powder fouling is minimal too. It is possible however to have an accumulation of fouling in the leade area in front of the chamber. A build up here is detrimental to top accuracy.

We suggest cleaning in the following manner. After approximately 100 rounds push a dry loose patch through the barrel from the breach end. This pushes out loose fouling. Then take a tighter dry patch and work it back and forth about 10 times in the leade area, pushing it out of the barrel at the muzzle end when finished.

Every 200-300 rounds a loose (worn out) 22 caliber bronze brush, wet with solvent, should be worked back and forth in the leade area with short strokes and withdrawn from the chamber end. If there is any evidence of lead in the barrel then brushing the full length of the barrel with solvent is suggested.

Match quality bullets have a wax coating on them that aids accuracy. It may take 10-50 shots to “lay” a good coating of it down in the barrel and using solvents will only remove this desirable wax coating.

Users of the 10/22-type semi-auto barrels may have to remove the accumulated powder fouling buildup that forms on the breech end of the barrel. Extraction problems may result eventually unless solvent is used on this type of fouling.

The 22 WMR and 17 HMR cartridges are rimfires but they fire a jacketed bullet and therefore centerfire cleaning and break-in instructions apply.

The solvent we use and recommend for our barrels is Butch’s Bore Shine.

I think this matters.

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have tried the laying of wax.

Didn't work.

Shot a rifle without cleaning.

Shot several groups of match bullets.

Cleaned it.

Shot several more groups.

Cleaned it.

Then shot a whole box of the same match ammo.

And shot more groups.

Not much difference.

Only thing I found occurring regularly, but not every time, is that the first shot from a cold barrel might go somewhere else than the rest of the shots after it.

In some instance, this point of impact could 2 inches or more away from the rest of the shots fired afterward.

Again, not all the time, but many times.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well, your Bleiker certainly liked that lot of Eley Tenex you used on target 13!

– John Green, author

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I would like to add that I have had 2 rounds misfire, repeatedly.

They are put aside, and tomorrow I will pull the bullets out and see if they lack powder or primer compound.