Find
Notify
Tools

CCI Stinger ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted
What's everyone's opinion. 1640 fps, is there anything else that comes close?

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Stingers are about the wickedest .22lr ammo on the market,,The bullet is slightly oversized to ensure sealing the bore,,and packed with a powder that burns so slow,it needs a 20"barrel to maximize the round,,Then that cavernous hollowpoint,,Somewhere in the internet world,,There's a good article on it's development,,I forget where though,,Clay www.stingersrock.com

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never owned a rifle or handgun that would group them and I own a couple tack drivers. Standard velocity has always worked better for me. YMMV.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they are hot, but i've never had anything that wanted to shoot them worth a sh--. if you're into the higher velocity try cci velocitors - 1400 w/ a 40 gr. in my kimber they really group well. the stingers I would use only as an extremely poor self defense load in something like a TPH.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
I tried them yesterday and shot about 12 5 shot groups at 50 yards. Best group with a 9 power scope was about 1.1" Worst around 2.1" Out of a bone stock 10/22 with a 9 power scope. Not to hot. I will try the velocitors.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I'm kind of surprised with the comments on this post,,I'm not trying to talk down the previous posts,,But I have a stainless 10/22 that throws them darn good,,pretty much one shot,,one kill,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I have one rifle that shoots them well. A Ruger 77/22; 1/2" at 50 yards. I have found with .22s that each one (rifles or handguns) seems to prefer a different ammunition, and so I test each one I acquire with a wide assortment. This one shot the Stinger best of all. Go figure.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Stingers are very good for shocking power on jack rabbits and such generally after being hit they dont even flinch,as accuracy goes I shoot about 1 1/2" groups with mine.Not a match round in my rifles but they wernt develeped for that. Just a wicked long rifle round that is accurate enough to kill rabbits to about 200 yards.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to have a Marlin model 60 that liked stingers over anything else. Not that I ever tried match ammo in it.

My current Marlin model 880 likes stingers better than most other ammo also.

I've never shot food with them, so can't say how they do there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Back "in the day" , I killed a big truckload of starlings with Stingers. Shot them out of an old Marlin 39A. We had a farmer who hated the birds, and would let us set up beside the barn and shoot them off of the cattle feeders about 30-50 yards away. A buddy and I would spend entire afternoons shooting starlings, both with Stingers. We used them for "shock effect" (us, not the bird Big Grin). Any 22 LR will kill a starling, but the Stingers would literally dismember them! Eeker

There were many a day that we had to estimate our body count, as we'd find so many single wings, bodies, heads, "chunks", etc. A solid hit to the breastbone or butt of the wing always rewarded us with a show!

Yeah, not very PC, but lots of fun!! Razzer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a win 69 that shots them pretty good-I shot probably 40 prairie dogs last fall out to about 100yds-a chest hit and they were dead right now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting Stingers for 20 years, but no more....

Quickshock is a Stinger that is pre fragmented into 4 bullet pieces.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=3&pg=18&prod_id=6

quote:

QUIK-SHOK®† 22 LONG RIFLE

The same performance numbers as Stinger® but loaded with a special segmented bullet. Excellent for medium varmints like rock chucks and woodchucks. (part #0064)
† QUIK-SHOK is a registered trademark of the PolyWad Corporation. Used with permission

I shot two rock chucks last week with Quickshocks from a stock Ruger 10/22 barrel, and the dammage to the animals was horrific. There is no way they are going back down the hole to die.

On ground squirrells, the damage from Quickshoks was the same as caused by 33 gr Vmax at 3,500 fps. That is 1/3 of the animal is gone.

The Quickshocks were far more devastating than 17 HMR Vmax, but the range and trajectory was no where near what the 17 HMR has.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K9 Bandit
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot stingers in my Walther TPH when it was my favorite carry gun. one of only ammo that made it reliable but what a fireball.

"capturing bin Laden is not a top priority use of American resources"
Bush, September 06

"Those weapons of mass destruction have got to be here somewhere."
"Maybe under here?"
Bush, March 04

Posts: 1025 | Location: Jacksonville | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote