Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

power loss in ammo
 Login/Join

posted
does anyone know if 22rf subsonic ammo or any type of 22rf ammo looses some of it's power over a period of a few years in stock?
Either it does or the rabbits around my way are getting tougher. I've hit a few lately and they've just run off as if they're not hit but I know that they are by the setup sound. Even the dogs have'nt picked them up in the crops.
What's your knowledge or experience

Posts: 6 | Location: Where I am ? | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It shouldn't deteriorate for many years. My experience with subsonic 22lr is that sometimes the animal will run off- and never be seen again !Like the last feral cat I shot.But that isn't only with 22lr subsonic of course !....This might be of interest www.shootingtimes.co.uk/guns/rifles/195871/On_test_subs...22LR_ammunition.html

posted Hide Post
Thanks for that one METE. I'll have to get the chrono out and see what is happening.

Posts: 6 | Location: Where I am ? | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my admittedly unscientific experiments of shooting tens of thousands of rounds of .22 ammo, if it is stored in anything like reasonable conditions, I think it will last at least 25 years and probably considerably more without deterioration. I found a few rounds of Super X that I know were over 5o years old, they fired with no problem. I'm currently shooting some Remington "Golden" bullets that I had in an ammo can in a barn, they're at least 20 years old and shoot just like new ones.

I'm guessing that your subsonic bullets are not expanding well or at all, thus less shock, more likely the rabbits will run off.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, it should not loose power..but Subsconic is not very powerful to start with. You might try the 60 gr. Aguila ammo, its subsonic and it kills rabbits very well.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:

I'm guessing that your subsonic bullets are not expanding well or at all, thus less shock, more likely the rabbits will run off.

Totally agree. I shoot mainly subs out of my two moderated .22s so as not to annoy the neighbours on our lifestyle block. I think my big air rifle is just as noisy as these.

Anyway, don't know if they make it up your way but the Aussie-made Winchester Subs with a -large- hollowpoint are great killers. I've shot literally 100s of small game (rabbits/magpies/brushtail possums..) with them, and they're dead meat under 80yds with a good shot. I can't say they drop any faster with HV ammo. The stuff is also accurate.

Chris, NZ

Posts: 26 | Location: Hawkes Bay, New Zealand | Registered: 05 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris-NZ:
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:

Totally agree. I shoot mainly subs out of my two moderated .22s so as not to annoy the neighbours on our lifestyle block. I think my big air rifle is just as noisy as these.

Anyway, don't know if they make it up your way but the Aussie-made Winchester Subs with a -large- hollowpoint are great killers. I've shot literally 100s of small game (rabbits/magpies/brushtail possums..) with them, and they're dead meat under 80yds with a good shot. I can't say they drop any faster with HV ammo. The stuff is also accurate.

Chris, NZ

Chris

I have a silenced .22LR rifle that I'm using subsonics in and wondered if your reference to 80 yards was more due to the trajectory or the energy at that range?

After having shot 25,000+ rounds of HV .22 LR ammo I have a hard time adjusting to the rainbow like trajectory at some of the longer ranges that with the HV were not a problem.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just rediscovered this thread Teancum.

I was simply alluding to the apparent knock-down performance of the Win Subs. Obviously their trajectory won't be close to their HV brothers.

I have been through maybe 6 bricks of subsonics simply on my lifestyle block (and more elsewhere) so am pretty familiar with hold-overs at given target positions. I can shoot off our pool deck down into the neighbour's farm and have shot quite a few rabbits first shot at over 100yds. I have a mental picture of say "2/3 down the centre thin-section of the reticle on 9X" for a given location but this is on the basis of experience, ie -lots- of shots. My best (and you may freely say "lucky") shot was at a laser-verified 187yds first-shot on a rabbit. Have the picture taken by my son to prove it. Needed about another 2 feet of hold-over beyond my usual max distances. Very satisfying but no doubt a large component of luck, including dead calm conditions.

Chris-NZ

Posts: 26 | Location: Hawkes Bay, New Zealand | Registered: 05 May 2008Reply With Quote