THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RIMFIRE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Rim Fire Rifles & Pistols    Cooper Montana Varmint vs Ruger 77/22 Varmint

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooper Montana Varmint vs Ruger 77/22 Varmint
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have about it got narrowed down to these two 22 rifles for me after having sold off my old Winchesters.

I like the heavier and longer barreled rifles.

The Ruger would probably require a trigger kit and maybe some bedding.

At three times the price I would hope the Cooper would not require anything. I have at least heard they can be ammo fussy as can all 22s to some degree.

I haven't yet had a Cooper in hand, well neither one really, but I am going to try later this week.

If you have experience with these or just some inputs I would like to hear them.

Thanks guys.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I handled the Cooper and the Ruger today.

Interestingly I thought that an older Kimber 82 was built better than either one of those as far as fit and finish and feel in the hands.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 57M shoots better than me. The better the ammo the better it shoots. The Cooper provided 5 shot sample test group using Midas + measures 0.152. Sometimes I can come close.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1063 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Cooper 57M also shoots better than me. The test target is 5 shots in one hole at 50 yds. I'll sell the gun for $1,500.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have the Ruger and have owned Anschutz and Remington 504s.

2 things matter in a rimfire, the barrel and the magazine.

Ruger has the best magazine in the world.

Anshutz and Cooper have wonderful barrels.

You can buy a Ruger for $500 on CDNN, buy a drop in Lilja or Shilen barrel for it, and get a trigger job and be financially ahead.

Most rimfires excepting the Browning T-bolt and the Ruger have horrible magazines.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Ruger barrels are great but the chambers are often cut a little sloppy and most have unacceptable triggers from the factory.

Buy the Ruger, get a trigger job, some barrel work and bed it. Then spend your extra money on ammo.

I have seen a lot of locking lug issues with late model Coopers.

If you can find an early production Cooper you will find the fit and finish far better than a late model.

My Ruger 77/22 & 77/17 are pretty is as pretty does kinda guns and will shoot as well or better than anything else. As long as Im looking through the scope, they are beautiful.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ended up with a mix of 22s.

I purchased a beautiful Kimber Classic that has great wood and shoots extremely accurate with medium to good ammo and is still accurate with just Remington green box 22.

But all is not perfect there. The magazines are fussy for these Kimber rifles. I have one factory magazine that feeds perfectly. Other factory magazines that have a little bit different follower shape don't feed. So I am still working that out.

Then I am having Clark build me one of their 22 semi autos off the Ruger base action. At least I will have magazines for it.