Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone using a HM II?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted
If so, I'd like to hear about its accuracy, range, effectiveness on varmints (not predators) which rifles you prefer etc. etc.

NRA Life member, H-D FLHTC, Hunter Ed instructor, And a elk huntin' fool!

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
Amazing that there are no replys. Confused

NRA Life member, H-D FLHTC, Hunter Ed instructor, And a elk huntin' fool!

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think that"s because the .17 M2 is about as popular as a rapper at a Klan meeting !
while i don"t want a 17HMR, i"ll admit it"s a useful cartridge, but why would anyone want a lesser round(the M2) when the HMR is so popular ?
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ Varmint rifle and a new Cooper LVT rifle in the 17 HM2 cal. This past spring I shot about 550 prairie dogs with the CZ rifle w/ Burris 4-12 X scope. I held most of my shoots to within 80 Yds but I have hit some out to about 145 Yds. Last winter I also used the CZ rifle on pasture cotton tail rabbits . I use a 17 HMR rifle for shots between 80 and 150 Yds ,then switch to a centerfire rifle for shots over 150 Yds.when shooting prairie dogs. I have not shot my Anschutz Mdl 1710 22LR since getting the 17 HM2 rifle.

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can think of reasons to use a .17HM2. I already own a .17 Ackley Hornet and 17HMR is too close to that. For shooting in small land blocks near where I live 17HM2 would be fine as ranges are short and 17HM2 would be a better killer in my opinion than .22 rimfire on rabbits and the brush tailed opossum we shoot by spotlight at short ranges

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote