Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i've gone through full circle many times, but sometimes i get sick of loud booms, reloading, self defense, hunting t-rex's etc. and then i end up in th back yard with a 22. In fact i've lost count of how many there are in the racks. each year that goes by i find myself spending more and more time with 22's. I don't really care if its THE round of the year or not. its the fun round of anytime. Long live the 22

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
butchloc, agreed. Just last weekend I got out some 22 pistols and a couple of swinger targets and went through about 4 boxes of 22 ammo! A lot of fun. My son's favorite rifle is a Browning lever action 22 that I bought for him 20 years ago!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first rifle I ever bought was when I was a junior in high school and it was a Remington 511. That was real close to fifty years ago and I had that rifle down at the range yesterday. It was shooting just under a half-inch groups at 25 yards with a cheap Bushnell 4x on it with clamp on mounts.

As you can tell from my recent posts, I have been playing a lot with the 10/22 in lr. The 22lr would be my "survivalist's" choice. Rifle in .22lr are always sufficiently accurate to be interesting, and with some tuning can be surprising. And they are just plain fun!

At our range, there are always a few of those EZ See targets which have nice clear spaces on them or pieces of clay pidgeons just waiting to be drilled with a 22. IMO there is not better way to prepare for a hunting trip that off hand practice with a 22 prior to your trip. Yes, long live the .22 in all its lengths and velocities. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any experience with one of those folding type rifles where the barrel unscrews and stores away in the stock? I think Henry makes one of these.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with the"loud noise and reloading", I fell in with a bunch of bad company when I started to shoot 22 bench rest! We shoot 3 matches of 50/50 a month! It's a real pleasure, shooting with these guys! Everybody is shooting standard vol ammo and the the noise is at a very low "pop pop".

Who'd of though you could spend this much money shooting 22's!

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well peter a friend has the henry and loves it he says great gun i've shot his i liked it

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks TBEAR. I shot one of these many years ago and I found it difficult to shoot. I couldn't figure out where to hold the damn thing! There is no forend. So, if it is a "survival rifle", it would not be easy to survive if you were shooting small game.
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My nephews were wanting to try shooting our deer rifles over the holidays, which we did. But I brought my Winchester model 63 along and a brick of Remington ammo. They ran through the brick in about an hour and had us going back to every country store in a 20 mile radius for more ammo. They really had a time shooting at eggs and clay pigeons at 75 and 100 yards. Everyone that was there was commenting on that noise level of that 63 Winchester. It was so quiet that you could clearly hear the action cycle on each shot.