Find
Notify
Tools

S&W model 41 and Federal ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Taurus Bill
posted
I've been shooting my 41 for over a year now with 4 different mags. Last night I had alibi after alibi of failure to feed or fully extract. After testing all 4 mags repeatedly, two of them failed enough for me to pull them out of the rotation.

I mostly have been shooting Federal SV Target in the red box, part #714. Now it's offered in the new smokey style blue box and called Champion. Are these two the same?

I also have shot Federal Gold Medal Target, part # 711B. It used to come in the white and dark blue box and now comes in the smokey borwnish orange box. This ammo has not caused any feed problems and seems to have just a touch more recoil.

I've seen 714 priced anywhere from 11.98 at Dick's up to $36 at a local shop.

I can't find any 711B and I'm wondering what it should cost.

Any thoughts?

Taurus Bill

Posts: 179 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
LAst week at the Kittery Trading Post in Maine I paid $28.xx for a brick of 711 B. This is extremely accurate in my Lilja .22 LR Ruger 10/22. Like all ammo recently, price is jumping.

Taurus Bill, Columbia County at the moment, which is yours?

Regards,
Dave

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Taurus Bill
posted Hide Post
I took my 41 apart and gave it a thorough cleaning. It still struggles with the red box 714 but the smokey blue box 714 shoots fine. The blue box seems a touch snappier than the red box but not as snappy as the 711B. Accuracy is the same with both so shooting the 'new' 714 will work since the old red box is discontinued.

Hopefully this will be the end of it.

Taurus Bill

Posts: 179 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote