New
Find
Notify
Tools

savage 64
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
does anyone have any experience with the savage 64 rifle good or bad i'm used to the marlin 60 but thinking if savage has the quality in the rimfire they do in regular rifles it has to be a good gun

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Savage 64 is an excellent medium weight target rifle. I have a soft spot for this class of rifles. In my opinion, they are the best smallbore hunting rifles. They are full sized, moderately weighted for steady hold-but not too heavy for all day toting.

They are accurate. The savage 64 will cluster 5 shots into dime sized groups at 50 yards.

I have a Rem 540x, similar weighted medium smallbore from Rem. It's a fantastic squirrel rifle.

Long time shooting writer, Don Lewis (mostly of Pennsylvania game news), is a dedicated 22 LR squirrel hunter. I still remember an excellent article he wrote in Guns Digest (1977?) about quality 22 rifles for squirrel hunting. His favorite was the Savage 64. He liked taking headshots, and could do it at 50 yards with the Savage 64.

You can probably find some info here:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16