New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel lengths and ballistics
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm thinking about buying a new barrel for my 10/22 and was wondering what barrel lengths mean to velocity. What I want to know is at what length does all the powder in the cartridge burn for the high velocity cartridges? I guess I'd like to know for standard velocity also.

Also what twist is best for what bullet weight?

TJR

==============
Todd J. Rathner
The T. Jeffrey Safari Company
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

Please visit our BLOG: http://www.tjsafari.com/blog.cfm

Posts: 341 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if i remember right a 22lr reaches max velocity in something like 16 or 17" of barrel. nominal twist is 1 in 16 if you wanted to shoot the heavy bullets i'd go to 1 in 12

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Custom Ruger 77/22 and a Custom Ruger 10/22.

The Ruger 77/22 has a Clark Custom Guns 20" Stainless-Steel Bull Barrel on it while the Ruger 10/22 uses the factory Ruger Barrel that I had shortened & recrowned to 17". I have chronographed Remington Bulk Hollow Points in both Rugers and the average velocity for each is as follows:

17" Custom Ruger 10/22 = 1216 FPS
20" Custom Ruger 77/22 = 1213 FPS

For the record I have also chronographed the same ammo out of my two Ruger Handguns. The average velocity is as follows:

5 1/2" Ruger MKII = 1049 FPS
4" Ruger MKIII 22/45 = 1011 FPS

Larry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Based on SD's tests it looks like u reach max velocity at 16" - 17". Anybody else do any tests?

==============
Todd J. Rathner
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

Posts: 341 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I hate saying I remeber reading somewhere but... A few years ago one of the magazines did a test (cut and crown the same barrel) and had steady increases to 16". They had to stop at sixteen inches for legal reasons. I read somewhere else that the 14-15" neighborhood is the optimum barrel length for velocity.

Thanks Larry for the real world testing. I would have guessed a little lower on the 4" and 5 1/2" barrels.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Optimum velocity occurs at different barrel lengths for different ammunition, but it is typically around 16-18 inches. "Match" ammunition, which is designed not to exceed the speed of sound, probably tops out in a shorter barrel than does Hi-Vel ammunition, but that is only a guess.

Comparing velocities from different barrels of different lengths doesn't really tell you much. You have to start with a long barrel and chop it incrementally for a direct comparison. By the way, the optimal barrel length for highest velocity may or may not coincide in any consistent way with the optimal barrel length for accuracy.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That makes sense. Now I know if I get a 16-18 inch barrel I will likely achieve max velocity form most loads.

==============
Todd J. Rathner
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the barrel of my .22 rimfire cut to 17 inches. It makes abit more noise now!

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 8 Ruger 10-22's and prefer longer barrels on them. I think they look better.
BUT, YMMV
All barrels are 1-16" twist.
Butchloc nailed the ballistics part.

Don

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I've had barrels on my 10/22 from 16" to 20" and found there is more variance in the ammo than in the barrel length. That said I think my favorite and most accurate 10/22 is one with a 16" tube on it. It is also threaded for a suppressor and that makes it even more fun to shoot.

The difference, for me, between a 16" and a 20" was just more weight and harder to clear the barrel in tight sports with the 20".

All my future barrels will be 16".

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote