Find
Notify
Tools

Most accurate 22lr rifle..
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of xtrema44
posted
Who makes the best accurate 22lr rifle???

Posts: 142 | Location: M-F OREGON | Registered: 25 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
At any price? How about style? Hunting sporter or rail gun? Clarify just a bit.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xtrema44:

Used to be BRNO, for the price.

I understand most CZ's are still pretty accurate however the finish is not as good as it used to be.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
You can end up with a great shooter by throwing a lot of bucks at a 10/22.

For an off the rack shooter I'm liking the Russian Biathon Basic.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Kimber and Cooper for sporter/hunter.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anschutz has won more rimfire matches than all the others combined, check the records.

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester Model 52

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 13 January 2010 07:16 Hide Post
Anschutz has won more rimfire matches than all the others combined, check the records.

yup

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about a NULA?

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would bet that the NULA .22 is a tack driver and the price is not prohibitive.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Low end budget I would vote CZ even though they are not finished finely, but they do shoot quite well for the bucks. High end budget, no question, Anshutz, but the application or intended use will have a lot to do with which rifle you would select??

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Suhl is hard to beat.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i made the most accurate .22 rimfire i've ever seen............. it was a midway barrel and stock set from several years ago and trgger and hammer work at V C in Carroll Ia. and a bolt reworked by C P C ........

LIFE IS SHORT.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
40X rimfire if money is no object, or the Anschutz.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho you are right the old 40x remington is a tack driver as well, also the old 52 winchester target rifles. If I remember correctly they each were about 15 lbs. The 54 super match Anschutz was about 12.5. These rifles bring back great memories.

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xtrema44:

Still waiting to see what type of rifle you are referring to?
Sporter? Bench? Etc?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6605 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old or new? One I will add for an old rifle. BSA Martini model 12 it is the most accurate I have ever owned. Better than a Winchester 52 I had. New, Anshutz or CZ.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
With match ammo (Lapua Midas & Eley EPS in this case), my Anschütz 1710 makes one hole at 50 m.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sako, Anschutz and CZ are my choices. Have owned all the brands.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I have been lucky to have a very accurate Ruger 77/22. With the ammo it prefers, it shoots very well....@50 yards
CCI Stingers 1/2"
CCI Green Tag 5/16"
Blaser solid 5/8"

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger 77/22 varmint in .22 mag that is a squirrel killing machine. Headshots only.
I also have an Anschutz 1451 that is a pos even after several attempts at accurizing and a trip to the gunsmith to recrown.

Go Figure...

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Very few shooters can shoot to the potential of a Winchester 52 or a Remington 40X Anchutz, Coopers, and Kimbers share that too. The most accurate .22 in the world has not yet been built.

Posts: 3 | Location: North Central Kansas | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The majority of RF benchrest matches are won by Turbo actioned rifles. The Shilen barrel is on top at this moment. Broughton and Lilja are nip and tuck. Anschutz are good for offhand and position shooting.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My lovely wife has a first year production Remington M37 that she shoots very well. I would not be afraid to show up with that at any match.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does she want to sell it to me Rich?
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
I found these Test Results by Charles Petty in the Jan/Feb 2010 Rifle Shooter beginning on page 60. The rifle is an $1800 Volquartsen Inferno with a BR-36x Leupold scope on it. The Accuracy results are the averages of three 5-shot groups at 50yds from Bench Rest. Velocity/SD is a 10 shot average.

Group....M-Vel...SD....Ammo

Match
0.245"....1,146....4....Federal Ultra Match
0.274"....1,083...11....Eley Tenex
0.279"....1,054....9....Wolf Match Extra
0.305"....1,060....4....Lapua Multi Match

Standard Velocity
0.352"....1,050...16....CCI Standard Velocity
0.368"....1,093....7....Federal Gold Medal
0.499"....1,057...15....CCI Green Tag
0.536"....1,122...37....Remington Target

High Velocity
0.510"....1,139...16....Federal Auto Match
0.729"....1,250...16....Winchester Super X
0.770"....1,262...17....CCI Mini Mag
0.985"....1,214...13....Remington HP

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,
Several people have spent an incredible amount of money on their 10-22 rifles and the ones with the clone receivers and they are still not competitive with the top RF bolt rifles. Ask me. They make a hell of a squirrel rifle though.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butchlambert,

silly question. I value my current quality of life waaaaaaaaaaaay too much to even ask her that.

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Butch, I do like the ability to Redesign your own firearm by simpy swapping out pieces. Same with the M1911 45ACP and AR variants.

People get to have a bit of a Custom, do it at their own pace, and as they can afford it. Plus they can always return it to the original design if that is their desire.

The main reason I included about the Volquartsen was to provide somewhat of a Benchmark for us to judge against.

For example, a couple of 5-shot groups from my old Marlin M880SS(Squirrel Killer El Grande) actually measured better than the Volquartsen groups - " BUT " - they were shot at 25yds!!! clap BOOM

Swapped in an AMT Lightning(first Stainless Receiver 10/22 clone) and a Ruger MarkI 22LR on a Savage BTVS. Haven't had the miserable cold weather and wind calm enough to know if it is a shooter, or if I need to back-off the Tea a bit.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand. I have a 2 lug 10X receiver, a Jewell trigger group, a Shilen test barrel, and a McMillan stock. It is a blast to shoot. Jack Neary on the BR.Com forum has an AMT team challange 10/22 for sale.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the big rags tested the Savage bolt action 22 and proclaimed it the most accurate 22 they had ever tested out of the box.

Posts: 15881 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea, I wonder what they were smoking in there pipe when they wrote that article.
And I am a Savage fan.
If the rag thinks the Savage was the most accurate then they must of only tested crap costing under $200.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6605 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back when I shot those Small Bore metal amimals the Remington 541's were very accurate.

I have been impressed with the accuracy of my Blaser R 93 22 LR barrel.

For Sporters the 2 above are great shooters.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My CZ 452 American Model is the most accurate 22 sporter I've ever shot. My last group shot with the rifle measured 3/16" for four shots at 50 yards. I only had four rounds left in the box, so that's all I could shoot. Ammo was Wolf Match Target sorted by weight and rim thickness.
I had a Weaver V-16 scope on the rifle, and the power was set at 16x. No wind that day I shot.
I've had many nice 22 Sporters over the years, but this rifle is the most accurate of all of them.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
BSA Martini Model 12/15 with Parker Hale aperture sights. CCI Mini Mag HP...1/2" @ 50 yds. adn this with no scope.... thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester model 52B for repeaters. Single shots? No favorite

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone have a CZ 455?

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
The most accurate one I have is a Remy 40X in 22 lr. I do have a Remy 541X that is very accurate also.
I once had a Norinco JW15(stock, no work done on it) that consistently would shoot in the upper 2's, such as .28, .29(@50yds) and of all things it would do it with CCI Mini Mags which in everything else they would only do 1.5 inches. I sold it to a friend whose son was getting into shooting competition at the time so I bought the next one I came across and you couldn't hit the barn wall from the inside with it.

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington 513-S that I bought in the 50's while I was in high school. It has a an old Weaver J-4 scope on it. Sub 1/2" groups at 50 with Remington or Federal HV hollow points. Great ground squirel rifle.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well,
I just acquired a Mod 37 Remington and a Martini International. Maybe one of them will shoot well.
Butch