New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is SOPA? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
What is SOPA to the uninformed?

Posts: 10161 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
That's rich. A stop sopa sign from an obama voter.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19314 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
actually, obama has said that he would veto SOPA in its current form.

i can't stand obama, but it looks like he does one right thing now and then....unfortunately, it will probably be 6 months or so before he does another right thing....

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
obama is a commie and you don't think he believes in censorship. Oh, brother.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19314 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And, the House bill was introduced by Rep Lamar Smith a REPUBLICAN, showing once again that we have the finest government that money can buy. Is Smith a commie? Does he believe in censorship? As you said: Oh brother!!!!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
obama is a commie and you don't think he believes in censorship. Oh, brother.

did i say that? i said that, in this particular instance, he got it right.

learn to read.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
The average person doesn't even begin to understand the full ramifications of this bill and the underlying reasons those dictatorships want to gain control, in even a small measure, over the internet...AND the use of dupes(THE MEDIA) to get the job done.

It's also about MONEY...into or out of specific coffers.

CONTROL AND DISRUPTION...TWO MAJOR WEAPONS TO USE AGAINST AN ENEMY...MISINFORMATION AND DISINFORMATION ARE TWO MORE MAJOR WEAPONS IN USE BY ALL THE PLAYERS NO MATTER HOW LARGE OR SMALL.

You people gotta get your heads out of your nether regions and wake up to the real facts.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
More crap from our worthless government in Washington. When is this country going to wake up and stop this crap?
2011 had revolutions all over. Why isn't there a revolution going on right here at home?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
That's rich. A stop sopa sign from an obama voter.

Talk about uninformed.

SOPA would force AR to close down, since a lot of the content posted on this site comes from other sources.

The President didn't propose this bill.

Don

Posts: 26543 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FOOBAR:
The average person doesn't even begin to understand the full ramifications of this bill and the underlying reasons those dictatorships want to gain control, in even a small measure, over the internet...AND the use of dupes(THE MEDIA) to get the job done.

CONTROL AND DISRUPTION...TWO MAJOR WEAPONS TO USE AGAINST AN ENEMY...MISINFORMATION AND DISINFORMATION ARE TWO MORE MAJOR WEAPONS IN USE BY ALL THE PLAYERS NO MATTER HOW LARGE OR SMALL.

You people gotta get your heads out of your nether regions and wake up to the real facts.

Has anybody read any of the link? I dont know the ins and outs of the specific legislation, but SOPA stands for "Stop online piracy act".

I am far more intrested in protecting intellectual property than the Commie iron fisted regulatory act that the left calls "Net neutrality". Net neutrality is a lie!! Neutral according to whom?

I seriously doubt if SOPA would shut down AR. It is probably more geared toward addresing the blatant theft that sites like Napster and pirate bay engage in. Sites like those are killing musicians. I thought leftists were supposed to be for the arts... Oh, thats right, only when they are ran by a centralized government.. Hippocrites..

Check the signature, SOPA is about stopping theives.

I dont think everyone needs to get their panties in a bunch over this though. It is not likley to pass in its present form.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FOOBAR:

Just like they did with the PATRIOT ACT!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has been said in this thread that if this SOPA bill if comes into law in the US it would force this forum to shut down but forgive me if i am wrong does not Saeed not own this site and is based in the UAE.

Posts: 110 | Location: sydney australia | Registered: 22 May 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:

Has anybody read any of the link? I dont know the ins and outs of the specific legislation, but SOPA stands for "Stop online piracy act".

I am far more intrested in protecting intellectual property than the Commie iron fisted regulatory act that the left calls "Net neutrality". Net neutrality is a lie!! Neutral according to whom?

I seriously doubt if SOPA would shut down AR. It is probably more geared toward addresing the blatant theft that sites like Napster and pirate bay engage in. Sites like those are killing musicians. I thought leftists were supposed to be for the arts... Oh, thats right, only when they are ran by a centralized government.. Hippocrites..

Check the signature, SOPA is about stopping theives.

I dont think everyone needs to get their panties in a bunch over this though. It is not likley to pass in its present form.

I am sympathetic about intellectual property, but this is more about stifling economic competition and bypassing the legal system to do it.

For Example, the company Monster Cable has Craigslist and Ebay listed as "rogue sites", subject to shut down if this were to be written into law. The claimed reasoning is that there are sellers that use these websites to sell counterfeit goods, but the concern is the company has a vested interest in preventing the sale of used equipment as that will cut into the sales of new items.

Here is the relevant page on the Monster Cable website:

http://www.monstercable.com/co...feit/dealers_blk.asp

Also, note the email they have on that page for people to complain about counterfeit goods:

Report Counterfeiting Activity
to Monster IPProtection@monstercable.com

Notice they are not wanting to imply they are going to go after the individual counterfeiter, they are going after the IP of the hosting site.

Of course there are many other examples out there, but this is a typical scenario and it has nothing to to about intellectual property but about stifling competition.

In regards to Intellectual Theft that most people think of such as Pirate Bay and that sort, the DOJ just shut down the website Megaupload.com:

http://www.techdirt.com/articl...thout-sopapipa.shtml

Now this is notable because as pointed out in the article the website is already dealing in US court with a copywrite lawsuit so it is not like they are being un-cooperative. In addition this is a civil and not a criminal charge so why is the Gov't involved. and then on top of that, the Gov't (again, pointed out in the linked article above) has proven they already have the power to shut down websites since they used the last law they just passed to shut down this website, the "ProIp" law, which again was a law that was promised would never be abused.

Then again, I'm old enough to remember the MPAA lobbying against VCR's when they came out, and I even remember watching a TV show that was pushing to get the dual-deck VCR outlawed in the USA "The only reason these machines exist is to make illegal copies". Thankfully that never happened and so the whole "Home Movie" industry was born.

Anyway, when a law is written not by lawmakers but another party who stands to gain monetarily from it, and when the people actually signing it into law do not even fully understand what they are doing, perhaps this is not a necessarily good law for the USA to have.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hornet nick:
It has been said in this thread that if this SOPA bill if comes into law in the US it would force this forum to shut down but forgive me if i am wrong does not Saeed not own this site and is based in the UAE.

Accurate Reloading is registered with Network Solutions in the US and hosted on servers in the US.

And, the law as written, would allow the government to block the domain from DNS lookup tables (that allow your browser to find our IP)if the site was deemed to be posting copyrighted material. The proposed law says ANY, it could be one article, one clip from a TV show, one movie soundtrack.

Anytime Fox News and MSNBC are on the same side of an issue, you know who is going to be screwed.

Don

Posts: 26543 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SOPA as written is a BAD law. For example what does "facilitate" mean. I am sure that we all know what we think it means, but, if a website unknowingly posts a link to another website that contains copyrighted material, could that first website not be deemed to be "facilitating" the stealing of such material. The lawmakers do not write these pieces of legislation, the industry and their lawyers do, and the lawmakers do not even read it!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Peggy
posted Hide Post
Peggy say SOPA like KGB, not good...

===============
Hi, my name Peggy!

Posts: 29 | Location: Siberia | Registered: 13 November 2011Reply With Quote