New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yet another lovely banner Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Thank you Don, on behalf of our Orthodox brethren.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Orthodox people all over the world celebrate Christmas on the 25th just like everyone else.There may be a very small minority of religious freaks that do otherwise but IMO there is no need for a separate banner.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Orthodox people all over the world celebrate Christmas on the 25th just like everyone else.There may be a very small minority of religious freaks that do otherwise but IMO there is no need for a separate banner.

Oh really? Roll Eyes

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Epiphany also begins Carnaval elsewhere. Krewe of Joan de Arc were scheduled to parade yesterday in the French Quarter.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That Icon of the Theotokos is stunning!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

I guess I just know some religious freaks who are very thankful.

And trust me, they didn't ask your opinion.

Don

Posts: 26543 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I am thankful. I wish I was more of a Jesus Freak, probably wouldn't use those words for it.

I am Orthodox, and it is one of the hardest things to explain to someone who doesn't know.

Imagine being Catholic but not being lead by the Pope.

That screws with peoples minds, like we just sprung up from nowhere and are some kind of cult. My Sister in Law (f'ing Mormon) asked my wife it Orthodoxy was a cult, I told her to tell her it was a 2000 year old one.

Because we live so remote, I have been going to a Roman Catholic Church with the family. It's ok, but it's kind of like plain white bread compared to what we get on Sunday.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you want to send them seeking medical advice, explain to them about the different patriarchates and the Greco Catholic christians )))

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greco Catholics are led by the Pope, liturgy is following Saint John Chrysostome and it is sung like for Orthodoxes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are many different way s to believe in catholic rite.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrei left Vyshhorod in 1155 and moved to Vladimir. Promoting development of feudal relations, he relied on a team and on Vladimir’s townspeople; he connected to trading-craft business of Rostov and Suzdal. After his father’s death (1157), he became Knyaz (prince) of Vladimir, Rostov and Suzdal.

Andrei Bogolyubsky tried to unite Rus' lands under his authority. From 1159 he persistently struggled for submission of Novgorod to his authority and conducted a complex military and diplomatic game in South Rus. In 1169 his troops sacked Kiev.[2] After plundering the city,[3] stealing much religious artwork, which included the Byzantine "Mother of God" icon. [4] Andrei appointed his brother Gleb as prince of Kiev, in an attempt to unify his lands with Kiev.[5] Following his brother's death in 1171, Andrei became embroiled in a two year war to maintain control over Kiev, which ended in his defeat.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrey_Bogolyubsky

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Because we live so remote, I have been going to a Roman Catholic Church with the family. It's ok, but it's kind of like plain white bread compared to what we get on Sunday.

Agreed! As an RC I am in awe of Orthodox liturgical music!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
You have the best Orthodox Church in the world there in Jacksonville. Go to Saint Justin the Martyr and hit up a Vespers or Sunday service by Father Arkady or Father Ted. Amazing priest they have there.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmm good tip, I will certainly go there. I have been to St John the Divine and met the guys there. I think they are Greek Orthodox.
Peter.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you guys want to have a good laugh at religion, look at youtube for clips of Dave Allen.

That Irishman was great.

Watched it last night and the one on airplanes too.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67046 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote