New
Find
Notify
Tools

How about a Philosophers' Forum? Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
We already have the Cesspool, the Political Forum, the chronosynclastic infundibulum, and it is a doozy. Manners, grace and thoughtful exchanges are left at the door, along with white gloves, and it is given over to our inner little boys who like stomping on toes and splashing in mud puddles,and starting playground fights.
So how about its alter ego, a hushed room with lots of leather-upholstered wing-backed chairs, tuxedos and decorum, where we graciously discuss the news of the day in white-gloved civility, and where name calling of any sort is considered unforgivably bad form resulting in immediate banishment from the room? Oh, the moderaters would love this one!

sofa

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bill,

We have that...in the Moderators' forum. Big Grin

I do not foresee AR ever having a 'one and done' policy of banishments. Saeed is just too nice a guy.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
George, lucky you. I meant banishment from the Philosophers' Forum, but realize the software likely isn't available to do it. Just trying to make the mods' jobs more interesting ...

Cool

– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
We already have the Cesspool, the Political Forum, the chronosynclastic infundibulum, and it is a doozy. Manners, grace and thoughtful exchanges are left at the door, along with white gloves, and it is given over to our inner little boys who like stomping on toes and splashing in mud puddles,and starting playground fights.
So how about its alter ego, a hushed room with lots of leather-upholstered wing-backed chairs, tuxedos and decorum, where we graciously discuss the news of the day in white-gloved civility, and where name calling of any sort is considered unforgivably bad form resulting in immediate banishment from the room? Oh, the moderaters would love this one!

sofa

Bill:

This is the internet!!!!! If you want white gloved civility go on a hunt in the Selous with Saeed.

Big Grin

The Vincents have just such a place.

That is until Walter shows up.

Don

Posts: 26540 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Don, well, the simple truth is that I don't run with the big dogs financially, so that's out.
By the way, I'd have suggested "Gentlemen's Forum," but being Welsh, I would likely have been excluded from the get go ...

Wink

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
chit - i thought the whole site was killpc one

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
chit - i thought the whole site was killpc one

Obviously you are smart enough to stay well out of the Political Forum to believe that. To call it a swamp insults dank, wet places full of slimy creatures.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9557 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...and yet, you spend a lot of time there lately.

"Hello, Kettle, this is Pot. You're black!"

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasunkawitko:
...and yet, you spend a lot of time there lately.

"Hello, Kettle, this is Pot. You're black!"

animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread rocks! Smiler

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
HMMMM....Next thread to be titled "Pot calls kettle black; fracas ensues"

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don, well, the simple truth is that I don't run with the big dogs financially, so that's out.
By the way, I'd have suggested "Gentlemen's Forum," but being Welsh, I would likely have been excluded from the get go ...

Wink

You could always join a knitting club.

Nah, that wouldn't work. The little ol' widows would just pick on you.

Posts: 6357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 28 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Philosopher's Forum? I thought we already had plenty of "Bull Shit" spewed on several other forums. bsflag
A separate forum would only be a duplication! rotflmo

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DRG:
quote:

sofa

Bill:

This is the internet!!!!! If you want white gloved civility go on a hunt in the Selous with Saeed.

Big Grin

Don

Frankly I would love to go on a Buffalo hunt with Saeed, even if Walter was along!

Posts: 1743 | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Venor, ergo sum. Wink

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13385 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pennfly:
quote:
Originally posted by DRG:
quote:

sofa

Bill:

Big Grin

Don

Frankly I would love to go on a Buffalo hunt with Saeed, even if Walter was along!

I am not so sure about that, I gotta draw the line on some of the people I hang out with....

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Venor, ergo sum. Wink

Oh, sure, make me look stuff up ...

Cool

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had to look up the venor,ergo, sum and was even more confused after looking it up, seems like several translations. What does it mean?

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
I had to look up the venor,ergo, sum and was even more confused after looking it up, seems like several translations. What does it mean?

It means you do not qualify as a philosopher then rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not qualify as a philosopher? Does that mean I am banned from a forum that doesn't even exist? Darn, I was all prepared to make a post of an idea that
almost everyone here could have made millions off of.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Carpetman: I hunt, therefore I am ...

Cool

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill, you saved me. I now know the passwords. Are you actually allowed to divulge them publicly?

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
You guys might like this:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1018303815

Je suis Kliban

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I miss that guy!

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Manners, grace and thoughtful exchanges are left at the door, along with white gloves, and it is given over to our inner little boys who like stomping on toes and splashing in mud puddles,and starting playground fights.

Bill, I greatly respect you, but disagree. It doesn't have to be this way - however, the participants (on all sides) choose to make it that way when they run out of arguments.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote