Find
Notify
Tools

May G-d SEAL you in the Book of Life this Yom Kippur Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted
DON
I'm baffled, where I come from G D in front of noun or pronoun usually not up lifting.
Like you G D fool, You and your GD mother...
Is this a typo?

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim - if I remember correctly, many religions show deference and respect to our Creator by not actually saying His name.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Tas

You may be right. I seem to remember that God has a fair number of names. But then that may be under a different religion other then Judio/Christian.
I've got a friend who gets bent out of shape when some one, or a book, mentions God.
I suggested that he think that God's name is George and who does not like George. Must have worked he never brought it up again. Chuckle.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yom Kippur is a Jewish holiday. If I am correct the vowels are dropped when spelling God's name so as not to actually spell his name. I am sure that you have seen YHWH which is short for YAHWEH. I think you will also find this cropped version in caps.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
The short of it is that each of you is correct.

Don will give us the full answer in a little bit.

Observant Jews take the command, "you shall not use the name of the Lord your God in vain" so earnestly that, in addition to not saying the name of God aloud, many will also refrain from writing it in full.

God's proper name in Hebrew (and I will defer to Don), is written with the consonants Y H W H. It is thought that vowels which give us the spoken name YaHWeH were "removed" so as to remind the observant person that God's name is not to be misused - and if you don't say his name, you would therefore not misuse it.

Given the desire to avoid misusing God's name, some came to combine the consonants of YHWH with the vowels of Elohim (Lord), so as to come up with the term "JeHoVaH". This term does not occur in the Hebrew text and is a later addition.

In a time when so many set aside careful thought and patient deference, and instead seek only to inflame & incite violence, it's a true blessing to have a place like AR; owned by a mid-east Muslim, administered by an east-coast Jew, inviting in a mid-west protestant Christian to share some of the good things with which the Lord has blessed us - not the least of which is one another's company! dancing

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In a time when so many set aside careful thought and patient deference, and instead seek only to inflame & incite violence, it's a true blessing to have a place like AR; owned by a mid-east Muslim, administered by an east-coast Jew, inviting in a mid-west protestant Christian to share some of the good things with which the Lord has blessed us - not the least of which is one another's company!

tu2 clap

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Friar
I have to agree with you, they even allow a heathen like myself to read and question.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by friarmeier:

In a time when so many set aside careful thought and patient deference, and instead seek only to inflame & incite violence, it's a true blessing to have a place like AR; owned by a mid-east Muslim, administered by an east-coast Jew, inviting in a mid-west protestant Christian to share some of the good things with which the Lord has blessed us - not the least of which is one another's company! dancing

friar

Outstanding post Friar. Thank you very much.

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Friar,
Well Said, Well Said! tu2

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:

Observant Jews take the command, "you shall not use the name of the Lord your God in vain" so earnestly that, in addition to not saying the name of God aloud, many will also refrain from writing it in full.

God's proper name in Hebrew (and I will defer to Don), is written with the consonants Y H W H. It is thought that vowels which give us the spoken name YaHWeH were "removed" so as to remind the observant person that God's name is not to be misused - and if you don't say his name, you would therefore not misuse it.

Given the desire to avoid misusing God's name, some came to combine the consonants of YHWH with the vowels of Elohim (Lord), so as to come up with the term "JeHoVaH". This term does not occur in the Hebrew text and is a later addition.

friar

I could not have explained it better. My religious teachings taught us to omit vowels in spelling out G-d's name. In fact, the Torah is written entirely without vowels.

Learning to read that was not the easiest thing.

Since the banner is about a Jewish holy day, shouldn't it follow the custom of the religion?

Don

Posts: 26543 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the explanation. I, for one, learned something that I had not known before. Funny how some of us saw the banner and took it perhaps as a sign of disrespect, when in reality, to the contrary it was actually done out of respect. Shows how we can sometimes jump to the wrong conclusion simply out of cultural ignorance. Thanks again for the enlightenment.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
The short of it is that each of you is correct.

friar

Thank you friar! Well said.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote