Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Forum :( Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
With the amount of participation, it seems it is not needed.

What about replacing all of the threads with just one "Sticky" under the Forum Name so guys who accidentally clicked themselves there get automatically directed by a link to snipershide.com where there is activity and interest? stir

lol

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Could it be that more folks on here are hunters, and not that big into target shooting?

Hunting where you do may necessitate long range shots on game.

From what little I have read when glancing thru the Long Range forum, most hunters seem to feel that shots beyond 500 yards on game animals are not all that common or to be taken except as a last resort.

I don't think I saw anybody say that they would take such a shot on a real trophy animal.

Seems like most folks don't have a problem with taking such shots at prairie dogs/coyotes/jack rabbits, but what have you lost if you wound one of them and it runs off someplace else to die?

Change that tpo a deer/elk/pronghorn or other big game species and folks seem to want to get closer. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could it be that more folks on here are hunters, and not that big into target shooting?

Right.

I made the post sarcastically. I have seen traffic there just dwindle, which I thought was weird since so many were jumping up and down at the prospect of having the new forum.

As for big game hunting at long range, yes, it is vastly different than shooting varmints or targets. Shooting targets and varmints at long range hones your skill and equipment so that if you can only get a long range shot at a trophy big game animal, you have the capability to take it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shooting targets and varmints at long range hones your skill and equipment so that if you can only get a long range shot at a trophy big game animal, you have the capability to take it.

tu2 tu2

It may be that many folks either just don't have the time or want to take the time to practice like that.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much fun cana guy have shooting at 100 yards?

For me testing the limits of my equipment and my ability is what is fun.

A challenge is fun.

That's what shooting in general is for me. Hopefully others will recognize the challenge in themselves

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
With the amount of participation, it seems it is not needed.

What about replacing all of the threads with just one "Sticky" under the Forum Name so guys who accidentally clicked themselves there get automatically directed by a link to snipershide.com where there is activity and interest? stir

lol

Emotional aren't you? Big Grin

Relax, we're already almost twice as popular as the baseball forum, which I understand to America's most popular sport!

Maybe we could have a Charlie Sheen sticky at the top of the forum to increase footfall?

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Well, Rome wasn't built in a day either, if you keep posting then others will keep reading too.

I pop in there and take a glance around frequently, but to be honest where I live I just do not have much experience at these distances. Heck, I consider 300 yards for me to be long range!

Anyway, I'm sure others read it too, just because at this moment there is not what some consider a lot of activity is not a good reason to throw in the towel. I just made a post there and I see that there have been 4 others just today, so just keep going....

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Let's not have a link to snipershide. There's a large majority of the population over there that makes me want to stick a sharp stick in my eye.

Want proof? Read the thread about the guy who bent his Savage action trying to remove the barrel. And I'm not sure I would even consider him the incompetent person in that thread.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's what shooting in general is for me. Hopefully others will recognize the challenge in themselves

There is part of the answer right there. Not everyone shoots or hunts with the same goals that you do.

Knowing that they can do it IF they need to may be all that is neccessary for them.

For me personally I prefer getting as close as possible.

To you that seems stupid I guess, but even though I have rifles capable of killing game at 500 yards or more and have the shooting ability to do such, if I can close that range to less than a hundred yards, I have a much more enjoyable hunt.

I love spot and stalk hunting, with heavy emphasis on the Stalking part of the equation.

I am working on doing a coues deer hunt in Arizona this Fall if I get drawn, and I am working on getting my rifle where IF I need to I can make a 500 or 600 yard shot.

But if things worked out where I could stalk within say 60 or 75 yards and kill my buck, that would mean a lot more to me.

Even though I have the ability and the equipment to make a long shot, killing an animal by getting as close as I can means more to me.

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Perhaps if every single thread didn't turn into a multi-page pissing contest, you'd have more posts over there.

Just a suggestion.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you should consider that few of us east of the Mississippi have a place to shoot long range weapons. Buddy of my has a .338 Lapua but only has access to a 300 yard range. Another friend has a Barrett fifty with only a 100 yard range available.

The problem is demand for land close to major cities is so high that nobody is going to go to all the trouble to pull the environmental permits and buy a place to set up a thousand yard range. It's just not practical nor financially feasible. There are a few around but not enough to make it practical for a lot of shooters to own long range rifles in the east and south.

All you guys out west with BLM land to shoot on and big ranches where you can go pop prairie dogs can easily do what we back east find almost impossible.

I have a .300 RUM that shoots less than MOA at a hundred that I would love to try out at 600/800 yards, but I would have to drive for two hours each way and pay a $25.00 range fee just go get off maybe ten rounds. It's just not worth it.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote