New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas banner in store? Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
So Don, my most excellent friend, will we see something new this year? Perhaps three multicultural wise men from afar bringing gifts and blessings for the swaddled infant lying in a manger in Bethlehem? Something that would make even a Presbyterian happy?
Just thought I would ask.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16404 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
So Don, my most excellent friend, will we see something new this year? Perhaps three multicultural wise men from afar bringing gifts and blessings for the swaddled infant lying in a manger in Bethlehem? Something that would make even a Presbyterian happy?

The three wise men were foreigners. Probably even illegals. I don't want to offend any here, so I am going to just put up the Hannukah banner again.

Don

Posts: 26543 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Don, the three wise men are fascinating. Islam is 600 plus years in the future. We know they were not Hebrews, and yet they very clearly understood the threat from Herod. They were not there representing earthly empires or political interests.
Who were these men who divined by the stars and other mysterious signs that a great spiritual being was about to be born?
Buddha had lived and died 400 years earlier. Hinduism has no foundational date, and was certainly present in India. Zoroaster lived at least 1400 years before.
Wise men indeed! Men for the ages!

– John Green, author

Posts: 16404 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DRG:

I don't want to offend any here,

Don

Who are you and what did you do with Don?

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:

Who were these men who divined by the stars and other mysterious signs that a great spiritual being was about to be born?

Clearly astrologers.

15 years ago I was in Bhutan, where every family still consults astrologers in the new year. Almost every house has a zodiacal chart on their wall outside.

I know many people the world over who still guide their lives by the stars.

Clearly there is something to this for it to be around so long.

Don

Posts: 26543 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The three wise men were foreigners. Probably even illegals. I don't want to offend any here, so I am going to just put up the Hannukah banner again.

Don

Big Grin

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I'd be happy with the leg lamp from the Christmas Story.

Christmas is a secular holiday anyway, Christ birth was at a different time of the year. The only reason we celibrate Christmas in December is because it was meant to help people make the switch between the Winter Solstace pagan holiday and a Christian consciousness.

The modern Christmas is a complete fabrication of the past 400 years. Beginning with the changes brought on by Oliver Cromwell during the British Civil War. As he cancelled Christmas and the people wanted to celibrate it. This ultimately lead to a Christmas revival 200 years later, and a push for a very different way to celebrate Christmas.

We tie Christmas to Christ, as it has been done that way to help grow the number of Christians in the ancient world.

Bring on the non-Christian Christmas banner as it doesn't matter to me.

I celebrated Saint Nicholas day 2 weeks ago, and we will continue to have a religious Christmas.

I just don't see what is already a pre-fab secular holiday being harmed.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Don

animal

But in all seriousness, I always liked the Three Wise Men - to me, they embody the idea of Peace on Earth and Goodwill Toward Men. tu2

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who are you and what did you do with Don?

i was wondering the same thing Confused

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Nice Pagan banner, pretty small though.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Don, Saeed, thank you friends, and Merry Christmas!

– John Green, author