New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hypothetical question? Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
I know they serve some purpose, but I really can't help but thinking that Accurate Reloading and other internet sites/forums might be better served, if member post counts were done away with.

Two aspects of internet forums/chatrooms/bulletin boards, however people prefer to refer to them, that over the time I have participated on them that causes problems from time to time, are the "Titles" given to posters at various post number levels, something AR does not really do, which is one reason why I enjoy AR.

The other is the "Post Counts" of each member.

Why does it seem to matter how many posts any particular member makes? As I said, I am sure it serves some purpose, maybe the numbers indicate the degree of member participation on each site, but over the years, and it has recently began rearing its ugly head here in the ARPF, some people for some reason, seem to have a Real Irrational problem over how many posts/responses other members make.

There are any number of reasons as to why any one individual might be or is able to make more posts/responses than others.

1. A person may just be able to spend more time on the site.

2. A person is just more opinionated than others.

3. A person may just participate on only one site.

4. Some folks have just more to say than others.

All of those are perfectly legitimate reasons, and probably there are others just as equally legitimate.

So, to cut to the chase, I know that the listed member posts counts probably can not be done away with, but can anyone explain why some people are so bothered by those counts to the point of attacking people because of them?????????????

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My opinion: It's just a statistic, and anyone who attaches any significance to it needs a life.

The post count is meaningless; it's the post that counts.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but can anyone explain why some people are so bothered by those counts to the point of attacking people because of them?????????????

Because these folks want to attack over something, anything! Thus if you don't have many posts, you are a newbie and need to spend more time just reading posts in order to learn from your betters. If on the other hand you have several thousand posts, then you have nothing better to do than be a "keyboard cowboy". You should be out doing something useful.
Having said that, it might be useful to know how many of the post count was on the PF, and how many were on more productive topics, like double rifles!!!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
Even if there were no post counts, people will attack others. Isn't that what the internet was invented for?

I'm sure if we were to do away with post counts we would be hearing about it to no end.

Don

Posts: 26540 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even if there were no post counts, people will attack others. Isn't that what the internet was invented for?I'm sure if we were to do away with post counts we would be hearing about it to no end.

That is probably as good an answer as there is.

I just find it odd that some individuals are that petty, and I also find it odd that some of those petty individuals appoint themselves as judges over the content of a post or response, especially when they are not a member of the PTB's running this site.

Of course, in the real life Day To Day functioning of America and the World, the musings/opinions of all the internet jockeys, amounts to the exact same thing as Non-Internet humans that make up the majority of the human population in this country and on this planet.

Opinions are like Ass Holes, everybody has them and the stink just as bad.

Thanks For The Responses!

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is hypothetical about what is the purpose of post counts? Sounds like a direct question to me.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is hypothetical, because ever time I have seen the situation addressed on different internet sites, the responses are always the same as those that have been given here.

No one can really come up with a real explanation as to why post counts/count level titles are such an integral part of these sites other than it is a method of determining the amount of participation of the membership on the site.

Hypothetically, instead of posting individual statistics, just concentrate on number of members on line and total number of posts during each 24 hour period.

Like Don stated, it is something that gives members just another avenue to attack each other.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Crazyhorse,

The only reason I care about someone's post counts is in the buy/sell pages.

I reckon that if a man is going to put 180,000 post into the page he probably won't be as apt to take my money and run.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that is a reasonable aspect I had not considered, and it makes sense.