THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    What is the Perfect caliber and load for Kodiaks
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the Perfect caliber and load for Kodiaks
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Resistance is resistance and all my tests; on wet/dry magazines, dead whales, piles of discarded bones and meat, as well as live bears, moose and caribou all show the same results.
Frontal area, and it's effect on SD, are the best indicater of penetration that I have found.

I know John Barsness has also done extensive testing and also found that in many calibers the new Nosler Partition bullets out penetrating the TSX bullets of the same weight.
This is no slam against the TSX as it is a wonderful bullet and one of my favorites.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Of your choices-

I'd have to take the 45-70 lever-with Level III Loads

Though I would rather have my 450 Alaskan
or the 50-110 I am building

Since my necessity to shoot lefty , which occurred 4+ years ago

I find my speed and accuracy for follow-ups as a southpaw is much greater with the lever than the bolt

another choice for me might be a 458 Garand conversion or BAR conversion

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Well, I would've dearly loved to take my CZ in 500 Jeffery brown bear hunting this September, instead I'm taking a Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby shooting 300g Partitions. Stainless/synthetic vs blued steel/wood and 7 3/8 lbs vs 11 lbs were the deciding factors.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I provided Michael 458 with 3 different 400 gr & 1 370 gr (416 caliber) bullets to test for comparative penetration in the medium he uses.
370 NF's,400 TSX,400 Swift A frame and 400 NPs. The NP's penetrated the deepest although they were all close. The results are posted somewhere deep in his terminal thread. All 400's delivered at 2400 FPS and I believe the 370 NF's at about 2500 to simulate most 416 std velocities
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Resistance is resistance and all my tests; on wet/dry magazines, dead whales, piles of discarded bones and meat, as well as live bears, moose and caribou all show the same results.
Frontal area, and it's effect on SD, are the best indicater of penetration that I have found.

I know John Barsness has also done extensive testing and also found that in many calibers the new Nosler Partition bullets out penetrating the TSX bullets of the same weight.
This is no slam against the TSX as it is a wonderful bullet and one of my favorites.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
OK here is a question, for hunters that have done so, and Guides that hunt Brown Bear on Kodiak.
What is the average distance that bear are shot???

What is the longest distance that bear have been shot at???

Guides will try to get you inside 100 yds., closer if conditions permit.

My B.&C. bear was taken at 240 yds.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tanoose:

the late jack o'conner once said that he sees no need for the 220 grain bullet in the 30/06 except for maybe african lions as the 180 grain bullets will go through both shoulders of a grizzly!

Jack obviously never shot a big brown bear.

That is true, he did not.

220 grain cup and core bullets have a proventrack record. If useing a mono-metal such as the TSX i'd not go above 180 grains because of their length and this then presents a stabilization issuse as well as having to been seated very deeply in the case.

Lighter mono metalbullets routinely out penetrate heavier lead cup and core bullets

jwp,

See my post above. Jack shot a brown bear on Admiralty Island while being guided by Ralph Young. He used a 375 H&H Pre-64 Mod 70 to take the bear.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
quote:
quote:
quote:

the late jack o'conner once said that he sees no need for the 220 grain bullet in the 30/06 except for maybe african lions as the 180 grain bullets will go through both shoulders of a grizzly!

220 grain cup and core bullets have a proventrack record. If useing a mono-metal such as the TSX i'd not go above 180 grains because of their length and this then presents a stabilization issuse as well as having to been seated very deeply in the case.

Lighter mono metalbullets routinely out penetrate heavier lead cup and core bullets

jwp,

See my post above. Jack shot a brown bear on Admiralty Island while being guided by Ralph Young. He used a 375 H&H Pre-64 Mod 70 to take the bear.

465H&H

My response as you can see had to do with Jack shooting a Large Alaskan Bear with the 30-06 which he did not to my knowledge.
I know that Jack shot a large Alaskan bear with the 375 as well as Tiger and elephant with the 416 Rigby

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
quote:
quote:
quote:

jwp,

465H&H

My response as you can see had to do with Jack shooting a Large Alaskan Bear with the 30-06 which he did not to my knowledge.
I know that Jack shot a large Alaskan bear with the 375 as well as Tiger and elephant with the 416 Rigby

Jack shot a couple of tigers but as I remember it, he used his 375. He did shoot a bull elephant in Zambia with a 416 Rigby. I had that gun here at my house a couple of years ago for pictures.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Yes the Tiger was shot with a 375 to my knowledge as well

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JWP475- I actually talked with Don Dehart who was guiding Jack O'Connor when O'Connor shot a very large grizzly with a 270 Win while he was hunting for sheep.
Dehart claimed that Jack was a wonderful shot and easily killed the grizzly but was uncomfortable with the camp and drank a lot.
Dehart also guided Elmer Keith to several large dall sheep and other animals and loved Elmer. He told me that he didn't even charge Elmer for his last moose.

Jack Lee who was another guide liked OConnor and believed that he was completely top shelf.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kaboku68:
JWP475- I actually talked with Don Dehart who was guiding Jack O'Connor when O'Connor shot a very large grizzly with a 270 Win while he was hunting for sheep.
Dehart claimed that Jack was a wonderful shot and easily killed the grizzly but was uncomfortable with the camp and drank a lot.
Dehart also guided Elmer Keith to several large dall sheep and other animals and loved Elmer. He told me that he didn't even charge Elmer for his last moose.

Jack Lee who was another guide liked OConnor and believed that he was completely top shelf.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Jack O'Connor did indeed shoot more Grizzly's with both the 30-06 and the 270. A large grizzly is not the same as a large coastal brown bear

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might tell the bear that. Every year you can go to the approaches into the Basin and watch large grizzlies walk over the passes to the coast were they can extend fall and where the weather is not as harsh. You can watch them return in the Spring. Grizzlies taken on the Copper near where Jack's was shot are classed as Brown Bears and not Grizzlies. Some Grizzlies are found on salmon streams and can approach the size of a smaller coastal bear. Are they as big as a trophy Kodiak boar or an overly large Alaska Pennisula bear- No. But there have been grizzlies taken that are as big as the bears on Admiralty Island. There have been some mighty large grizzlies that have been taken.

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kaboku68:
You might tell the bear that. Every year you can go to the approaches into the Basin and watch large grizzlies walk over the passes to the coast were they can extend fall and where the weather is not as harsh. You can watch them return in the Spring. Grizzlies taken on the Copper near where Jack's was shot are classed as Brown Bears and not Grizzlies. Some Grizzlies are found on salmon streams and can approach the size of a smaller coastal bear. Are they as big as a trophy Kodiak boar or an overly large Alaska Pennisula bear- No. But there have been grizzlies taken that are as big as the bears on Admiralty Island. There have been some mighty large grizzlies that have been taken.

True bears that are near the coast will get just as large, because a Grizzly and an Alaskan Brown are the same species, the difference is the coastal bears have a longer growing season and better food supply and thus get bigger

You are spliting a fine frogs hair here. When Jack went after a Large Brown on admiraltyhe took a 375 H&H and that is what he used

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
None of the above for me. 9.3 X 62 with 286 gr Nosler Partitions or 286 gr Barnes TSX, been there done that.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote