Find
Notify
Tools

375 RUM loads for grizzly bear?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of moki
posted
I just won my first limited entry grizzly draw here in B.C. and plan to use my 375 RUM during the hunt this fall. I have 2 loads worked up for this rifle,

1. 260gr Nosler Accubonds @ 3000fps

2. 300gr Nosler Partitions @ 2800fps

My question is are these appropriate loads or should I try loading up something different?

Thanks for any info, input or suggestions.

Cam

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Congrats on getting a tag. As always, I prefer bigger and slow over fast and light. So you can guess my choice. Smiler

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 300 gr. load, of course, provided the bullet will survive at that speed. The 260 gr. load would be way be too light as it just splash with a superficial wound just as you see the bear. You absolutely need penetration in order to destroy his innards.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
moki,

Check out the loads on this site that Saeed uses in his .375/.404........that's where I started and my .375RUM is amazing w/270gr Barnes XLCs......if nothing there suits you, then I'd back off the speed a bit.....penetration is what you want. I always use Vhitavuori N160 in the RUM.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
moki: Congratulations on your tag. I doubt you would have any problems with either load. In May I shot a brown bear using 260gr NP right at 2950fps with my .378 and had complete penetration and killed the bear with one shot. It ran 10 yards and collasped. My partner shot his brown bear using 300gr SAF in his .375RUM, also resulting in complete penetration and a one shot kill. I do not know about Accubonds, but I imagine that at a decent range (much less than 150 yards) and properly placed broadside on the heart/lungs, that bullet would be deadly.

You can't go wrong with the 260gr or 300gr NP in the .375RUM. As for the Accubonds, I have never heard of one failing. I would not use bullets with plastic tips on them at any velocity.
Bullets that hit twigs or leaves will start to tumble before hitting the animal and that also will have an unwanted effect on bullet behavior, but that can happen to any bullet. It sounds like you have an excellent bear gun.

The faster bullet (260gr Accubond) only gives you advantage at longer ranges, and you probably would want to avoid any shot over 150 yards)..so at normal bear ranges (less than 150 yards with about 100 yards+/-20 being about right), the 260gr Accubond gives no real advantage...the 300gr NP would provide more penetration force simply based on added mass...so, of the two, I would choose the 300gr NP at about 100 yards.

Good Luck.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which area/region did you get your draw in?

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
My draw is in 7-38 which is half way up the north west side of Williston Lake. Actually if anyone has any knowledge of the area it would be great to here about it.

I work as a prospector and will be heading up there in a couple of weeks to work so I'll be doing some preseason scouting while I'm there.

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
Aren't there some 350-gr. projectiles for the .375 caliber...?

Links and pix, if you got 'em, please.

NAHC Life Member
NRA Endowment/Life Member
Remington Society of America Member
Hunter in Training

Posts: 750 | Location: Upper Left Coast | Registered: 19 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BusMaster007:
Aren't there some 350-gr. projectiles for the .375 caliber...?

Woodleigh makes them here is a link.

http://www.woodleighbullets.com.au/Bullets.html#Anchor-26405

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
I just spoke to the Nosler Tech and asked about both loads. He said to use the 260gr Accubond load for my grizzly hunt, and that the 300gr Partitions were more suited for African game.

What more do I need?

Thanks for the input

one of us
posted Hide Post
moki: I would not doubt his advice and would follow it...althought the range at which you shoot should still be reasonably close (less than 150 yards). On the otherhand, any 300 grain bullet out of a heavy .375 (H&H, Wby, RUM and others), is in no way too big for brown browns. There are plent of folks that shoot brown bears with larger calibers and bigger bullets, and they do it without apology or explaination.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Moki here is a link to a test I did with the 260 Accubond and the 300 Sierra. It has pictures of the bullets and the range they were shot and what they were shot through.
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8...18/r/3261018#3261018

www.kafirearmsllc.com/

one of us
posted Hide Post
dakor: Those Accubonds look great...those would work on brown bear...they have plastic tips?

Robert Jobson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone need one of these? I have a 700, 375 RUM for sale and I think the price may be right. Email please.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RWJ all the Accubonds have plastic tips like a Ballistic Tip but from what I have found they hold together real well even at high velocity's. I think if a person took a Partition and a Accubond in the same weight same cal and going the same speed and did a test I think they would be very surprised at the results. I did a test with a 160 Barnes TSX and a 160 Accubond out of my 7mm STW. The Barnes at 15 yards did out Penetrate the Accubond buy a couple of inches but it did lose it's petals. At 60 yards the Accubond out Penetrated the Barnes by a couple of inches but the Barnes kept its petals this time. To me the Accubond is going to be the bullet of the future for Nosler and will probably replace the partition someday.

www.kafirearmsllc.com/

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by moki:
I just won my first limited entry grizzly draw here in B.C. and plan to use my 375 RUM during the hunt this fall. I have 2 loads worked up for this rifle,

1. 260gr Nosler Accubonds @ 3000fps

2. 300gr Nosler Partitions @ 2800fps

My question is are these appropriate loads or should I try loading up something different?

Thanks for any info, input or suggestions.

Cam

MOKI, If I were going to push bullets that fast from any .375 caliber rifle, I'd not use any of the bullets designed for the 375 H&H's 2550 fps unless I backed the speed off the 375 H&H levels. The 300 gr Nosler Partition is designed to opperate properly at the 2550 fps level. In your RUM, if you must have those speeds, I'd use the North Fork cup point copper solid. This bullet opens up enough to do great tissue damage, yet retain all it's weight,for deep straight line penetration! The speed doesn't seem to be a factor in the proper expansion with the NF cup point.

I wouldn't even consider the 260 gr accu-bond for large bear, unless I had nothing else!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree entirely with Mac above. Use the heavier and stouter bullet for these heavily muscled and tenacious critters. North Forks would be better, and I'd humbly submit that my first choice (and what I'll use this fall) are Barnes TSX. These bullets are, with one exception, the most accurate of any brand in all of my rifles (that honor used to belong to North Fork). I just got back from Zim and used .375 TSX to good effect on various plains game (zebra, kudu, sable, etc.), and accuracy, penetration and terminal effects were alwasy outstanding.
My single BB to date was effectively polished off with a 300 grain SAF .375 H&H, and these are great bullets too (at least at the H&H lower velocity).
I admit to never having used Accubonds, but can't think of a reason to prefer light, less stoutly constructed bullets on griz. You should be 150 yards or less when you shoot, so the slightly better trajectory with the light ones is irrelevant.
Any will work if you hit it right.

Posts: 81 | Location: too far east | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Are you hunting Grizzlies, or Brown Bear? If your hunting Grizzlies, I wouldn't even use a gun that large. They aren't really that big compared to Brown Bears. Just about any bullet sold for the 375 H&H would work in your gun, as long as you don't push it to fast.

I think a 300 Winchester or a 338 Win Mag would be a better choice personally, if your hunting Grizzlies.

Good luck on your hunt, hope you find a nice bear.
JBabcock

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
Yes I am hunting grizzlies as well as a 7'+ black bear if I'm lucky and moose at the same time on this hunt.

I know that the 375 is more gun than I need but I have it and I'm wanting to break it in on a trophy.

I will also have my 300 RUM and a Marlin 1895GS 45-70 along with me but my main hunting rifle on this trip is going to be the 375 RUM.

I've been reading and taking heed of the advise being given and just made a deal on 2 boxes of Rem factory 300gr Swift A-frames for half price from a fellow that had sold his 375 RUM rifle.

I'll get to the rifle range Monday or Tuesday to try them out, chrono their velocities and sight them in.

Thanks for the thoughts so far and I'll post the chrono results when I get them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moki,

I just finished working up my moose load. Bear load will be next week.

I just got back from Birchwood this afternoon, where I thoroughly wrung out another fantastic 375 R.U.M. load!

It is the:
260 Nosler Accubond,
ahead of 100 grains H4831 (SC),
Federal Gold Medal Match Magnum primers 215, O.A.L. 3.61".

It clocked in at 3050 FPS, consistently shooting 3 shots into sub-half inch groups -.390, .432, and finally .479.

The 260 also likes IMR7828 103 grains.

The worst group was .880 and I attribute it to a dirty and rather hot barrel.

I also shoot factory 300 grain A-Frame Swifts into a 1 inch group.

Next week I am going to work up some 300 grain reloads. Also the Woodleigh 340 grain.

I don't know, but I bet that a bear at 100-200 yards would not like the 260 grain Accubond at over 3000 FPS!

Charles

Posts: 197 | Location: alaska | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
What if he's at 10-20 feet?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moki? I too have both rifles you mentioned and carry most times with me when I am in my boat. I have shot grizzly with both rifles and them 270 grn XLC sure put them down. My GG, just put a Leupold Scout Scope on it and tuned er up - shoots the BTB 425WLNGC just fine. I would always opt for "tougher" bullets if you will - they just hold up better at them velocities. If the Grizz is at 10ft. club em - he'll know for sure he got hit by a RUM.ha. enjoy you're hunt!

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JBabcock,

I'd bet that with near 5000 Foot Pounds of Energy, he'd know you were there, no matter the bullet!

charles

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
Grizz007,

Hit it with the gun and he'll know he was hit by a RUM.......

That was good .....

I even had to show my wife that one......

She didn't get it........
Big Grin

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
I was a little surprised yesterday when I went to the gun club.

The 300gr Swift A-Frame Rem factory load velocities where higher than I thought they would be.

I took about 10 minutes between shots to let the barrel cool because it was about 70 to 80 degrees F while I was shooting.

1. 2791fps
2. 2725fps
3. 2762fps
4. 2755fps
5. 2758fps

I had just adjusted the trigger on this rifle and hadn't resighted it in yet so I don't have a group size yet but the last shot printed 2" high @ 100 yards and dead on @ 200.

Now with just a little more fine tuning and I believe I'll be ready.

Thanks for all of the input.

Cam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moki, or anyone else interested in the 375 Remington Ultra Magnum desiring to shoot heavier bullets into the larger beast.

I just finished working on a great potential load for big bear. I will confirm the data tommorrow at Birchwood.

It is the:

350 grain Protected Point WOODLEIGH, made in Australia, ahead of 100 grains of H1000, using Federal Gold Medal Match Magnum primers 215, loaded to an O.A.L. of 3.60".

I did not have a chrono today on the range, but I am guessing 2500-2600 FPS. Velocity will be posted later.

But I can tell you this. The load consistently shot 3 bullets into sub inch! Three shot groups today ran: .345", .380", .569", .653", 782", and 1".

Here's my predicted ballsitics for the 350 gr Woodleigh at 2600 FPS:

0 (yds)...2606.7.FPS...5280.4.Foot Pounds....-1.5.Drop in inches
200........2223.7..........3842.8.........................-0.0
300........2044.4..........3248.0.........................-9.3
400........1874.1..........2729.5.........................-26.9
500........1714.0..........2282.9.........................-54.5

It's as flat as many smaller diameter rifles, with the thump to spare from muzzle to 200yds.

I have found that my M700 375 RUM, really likes the IMR7828, and H4831(SC) as well as the H1000. So along with the above load, I will test some more 350 gr Woodleigh loads using 96 grains of IMR7828 tommorrow.

One thing i've discovered with my rifle is that accuracy falls off after only 15 - 20 rounds. I clean at 15 shots now. It's amazing watching the accuracy fall off, then tighten up again with a cleaned bore.

This gun is a real tack driver, and slams the steel target at 300 yards.

I can't help but think that the 350 grain Woodleigh, at 2600 FPS or so, hitting them right, will slam dunk easily any critter under 200 yards.

Next week I am going to work up some 300 grain reloads.

Charles

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again, 350 grain Woodleighs in a .375 Remington Ultra Magnum.

This time I loaded IMR 7828. I used 96 grains of IMR 7828, and found it to be another solid load. I got .569" at 100 yards, and 1.79" at 200 yards.

Like I said in above response, the load today was 2" high at 100 yards... and dead on at 200 yards. At 300 yards it dropped right at 10 inches. Great ballistics. Due to it's tragectory, I'm guessing it is traveling at 2500-2600 FPS.

Also, the H 1000, with 100 grains performed wonderfully yet again! I did experiment by stepping it up one (1) grain at a time each load... to 103 grains of H1000 max. The bolt got a bit sticky at 103 grains... but still demonstrated no other over pressure issues or signs.

I can "strongly" recommend 100 grains of H 1000, behind the 350 grain Woodleighs!

Also, I can recommend the 96 grain IMR 7828 as a good starting point for the IMR 7828 powder.

Nothing scientic here... I just wanted to break in the 350 grain Woodleighs. As soon as I can get another chronograph I will post velocity.

Anyone wanting to step up the 375 RUM, I do strongly suggest the 350 grain Woodleigh!

Charles