New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help on Moose Area
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Another self guided moose trip without a moose. Any ideas on a good area for moose next year? What about transporters? My luck has been bad so I don't think I can get a partner next year. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

Posts: 560 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Try Mark on Alaska Outdoor Directory,,

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
alaskahuntplanning.com

He's done a great job for some aquintances

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you waterrat. Is that Mike or Mark. The page said Mike. Maybe I didnt get it right. Thank you.

One of Us
Picture of Northman56751
posted Hide Post
What about the Koyukuk NWR?

I went on a self guided hunt there years ago and it was one of the most memorable trips i've ever did.

At one time, it had the highest moose population per square mile anywhere. Not sure about now.

We took a transporter out of Galena. He doesn't do it anymore, but it appears as though Galena Transporting and Guiding does. I don't know anything about them, but their Tel.# is (907) 656-1401 and e-mail is: johnstam@starband.net

If you draw a tag and actually get out of the boat and hunt some of the clearings a little ways back, i think you'd have a good chance.

Brett Mattson
www.hosted-hunts.com
E-mail: brett@hosted-hunts.com
Cell: 218-452-0774
Life Member NRA

Posts: 258 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Northman. I will check them out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Give Papa Bear Adventures a call at 907 543-5275. They are out of Bethal, AK. Any bull with horns is legal. We hunted with them four different times and could of shot a bull each time! These are a 52" and a 50". We saw bigger but could not close the deal.

Posts: 367 | Location: Anchor Point, Alaska | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Northman56751
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

I would find some good transporters and then call the game biologists for each area you are looking at. They will tell you where the best populations are. This is what we did, and then got some good topo. maps. Unreal how much these maps helped.

Like i said earlier, if you get out of the boat, find some clearings and do some calling, you should have a good chance.

Babe Winkleman was up in the same area we hunted (with the same transporter), never got out of his boat, and they got squat!!!

Brett Mattson
www.hosted-hunts.com
E-mail: brett@hosted-hunts.com
Cell: 218-452-0774
Life Member NRA

Posts: 258 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett. That sounds like a good way to get started. Thanks, Jeff

One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
A few tips, make sure you hunt during the rut and also take plenty of time as weather can wipe out some days and also go for a float hunt on a river system that is lightly hunted. I could share some details from my planning in the past by PM.

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only time my family always got two moose a year was when we lived In Sutton in MatSu; and I couldn't live that urban now anyway, no matter how many moose I could shoot.

We live on the Yukon and usually don't get a moose every season, but always get half a moose given to us and always get all the bou we can eat. This season, we (family) got three bulls and I gave half of it away.

Many areas of Alaska have been decimated by wolves & bear predation; low moose numbers. Still, if ya float a river, you'll see moose. Hunt licks, you'll see moose. Learn an atv trail that goes back in 20 miles, you'll get a bull. One local trail few miles from my place, we use to get a couple bulls off it every season. Then this outside group from juneau started posting guys all along the trail and they started getting 4-5 bulls every fall off the trail. Actually, the locals had other places where they didn't have to look at all kinds of people so it wasn't no big thing.

You can spend money on a guide, you can do a drop off fly in, or you can learn the country in a certain area, figure it all out and start getting moose.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote