THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Killing Time in Anchorage Next Week

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Killing Time in Anchorage Next Week
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted
I have two days to burn in Anchorage or the surrounding area...July 24-25. Do any of you have some recommendations for an excursion? Maybe a halibut trip out of Homer or Seward if someone can give me a contact? I'd prefer not to rent a car but I can.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Well, you must go ahead and rent a car, but skip the Airport locations as they have higher fees and taxes. Try Enterprise at 510 E INTERNATIONAL ARPT RD. You may be too late in the game for a halibut trip, but I have been with ProFish-n-Sea in Seward. Or you might try to go out of Whittier with someone such as Sound Fun Charters. I enjoy a little quick trip to Whittier and eating fish and chips or a fish sandwich (with a cool beverage) at the Swiftwater Seafood Cafe followed by an ice cream at Varley's. If nothing else just drive - maybe up to Talkeetna or up onto the "hill" for a quick hike out of the Chugach State Park Flattop/Glen Alps Trailhead Parking. On a good day the views are spectacular. Just do anything except sit around a hotel.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I was thinking Mt McKinley and Talkeetna.

Posts: 9215 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
If you want to go to Seward or Homer, you'll need to rent a car. Homer is about a 4 hour drive with no road closures, Seward - 2.

Good, established charter outfit in Seward:

http://www.thefishhouse.net

If you want a fun drive, rent the car, drive to Talkeetna and take a K-2 Aviation flight seeing trip to the glacier on Denali. It's only money.

Dave

Posts: 921 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you do go south, the alaska wildlife conservation center is a pretty neat stop

Posts: 178 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 14 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim629:
if you do go south, the alaska wildlife conservation center is a pretty neat stop

Right before you turn to go to Whittier.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote