Find
Notify
Tools

Photo of my new Alaska rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted
Here is a photo of my new Ruger .375 Alaskan. I put it in an H-S Precision stock and dropped my 2.5 X 10 power Night Force scope on it.

I have been working loads up for it with RL 15 and 260 grain Nosler Acubonds. I have been getting 2745 average with 76 grains of RL15. Anything above 76 grains starts showing pressure signs. The biggest thing i found is that if I seat the bullets out to 3.400 inches COAL the velocity stays the same but the accuracy goes way up and the Extreme spread of velocity goes way down. I was getting 43 fps extreme spread with a COAL of 3.320. With the COAL of 3.400 I consistently went to 5-6 fps extreme spread. Have any of you tried these Nosler AB bullets with any good results?

I tried the new H100V but the velocity I wanted to get just was not there.

I am taking it to Kodiak with me in September for a Goat hunt in DG475. This hunt is why I am loading the .260 grain NAB. The exterior ballistics charts show that with a 200 yard zero and 2750 fps it only drops 23 inches at 400 yards. But still has the energy that I want if I should tackle a Bear.

I really love this rifle with the new stock. It has a 14.5 inch length of pull that fits like a glove.

[URL= ]

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice!!

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Cool gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its going to be really hard to beat that rifle as an all around alaskan gun. Very sweet rifle. Good scope choice too.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thebear_78:
Its going to be really hard to beat that rifle as an all around alaskan gun. Very sweet rifle. Good scope choice too.

+1 Very nice!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post

I hunted DG475 last year, and took an average billy, I did see alot of bears, the biggest was close to 9 foot, which came into our spike camp, but I tell you, you don't want to do a DLP kill, alot of headaches, paperwork and plus packing out hide and skull your not going to keep. Every bear we encountered, wanted nothing to do with us, so make your presence known and they will leave. a tough area to get into, we flew with Roland with Seahawk air, we did a late season hunt in Oct. so we had to fly in from the salt, took us over two days to get above the tree line. Flying into the lakes are tricky because they do freeze up early...good luck

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Very Nice .. You must be very long armed . . I put a canoe paddle on mine with a 12 15/16" lop and it is sure sweet . . My load with 270 gr Hornadies is 74 gr RL 15 ,crimped in the cannalure for 2725 fps with about 25 fps variation ... I think you have a perfct setup , With the Accubonds ..... I really like the look of your stock .. I have done some thinking about the scope you put on . If it had the eye relief I would try to find a rear extension ring ....... But that may be just lily gilding ... again ... VERY NICE . I hope you have a great and sucessful hunt ....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sweet set-up!!

What does the rifle/scope combo wiegh?

Good luck on your hunt.

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
bbl length & total weight?

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 Real real nice.
Funny, I just got into an almost identical rig in 375 RUM for here in SE AK. Green stock with black web, black matte finish, Nightforce 2.5-10, iron sights. Bulletproof rig.
You will not be dissapointed with the setup. Good luck on the Goat hunt on the Rock!!

By the way. I see that you have a Kifaru military pack. I am looking at getting one myself. Is that an MMR or EMR? Do you use the gunbearer system? How do you like it overall and is it worth the $$??

John

Posts: 30 | Location: SE Alaska | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Who is your guide on this hunt?

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
My guide on the hunt is my brother Ron. He is an Alaska resident. He has hunted Kodiak quite a bit and worked out there over the years. We have a good friend that lives on Kodiak that has hunted DG475 as well. We have booked Sea Hawk Air again for this trip. We put in together and both have goat tags.

I helped my brother when he dropped a nice Billy on a road system hunt in Sept 2005. We shot it up in the hills just south of Anton Larson Bay on the west side in DG479.

The rifle is 10 lbs with ammo, according to my bathroom scale. The barrel is the standard Ruger Alaskan 20 inch length.

I read a report on the 24 hour camp fire of a guy who had to DLP a bear the first night on Windy Lake. Pretty much ended the hunt. They barely got their camp set up. I am hoping to avoid that situation myself.

I put in for Brown Bear with my brother for next spring as well. I will really have to squeeze the budget to fit that one in if I draw, but that is the easy part.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
..... I agree . If you are going goat hunting , you don,t want to mess around with a bear ..... But if you have to deal with one try to pic your time to do it , like during daylight instead of in the middle of the night when it,s on the tent .........It,s alot better to deal with ADF&G , than a surgeon or mortition !! A whole lot less expensive also ... To say nothing of your body will still work properly ..................................... I wouldn,t think of putting a rifle in some kind of back pack . if there is a possibility of a bear being around .....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have booked Sea Hawk Air again for this trip.

Seahawk is the only air taxi I use on Kodiak.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.458LF,

I have an almost identical twin to that rifle in but it is a an H&H and stocked in a McMillian.
Hey tell me about that back pack in the picture. It along with your rifle is a nice looking rig!

Mine is a Stainless M-70 cut to 20" fluted restocked and topped with a Leupold 1.75X6. I've included a few pictures to show just how versitile this rifle really is. It is my number one go to gun I've used it all over the world. I feel kind of naked going anywhere without it.

Here she is in Zimbabwe.

Alaska up in unit 23 where I used to live.

My wife and girls hunting hogs in Texas with old reliable.

I've also killed about a dozen elk with it here in Colorado. A short accurate weather proof.375 will never let you down.

One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
Shurestrike
The pack is a Kifaru International EMR. I love these packs. They are ultra comfortable and are very versatile. Some say they are a little heavy, but I have not noticed a major issue with it. I prefer the military line of packs by Kifaru over the hunting line, mostly due to the Marine in me and the fact that the military line has lots of options.

My next Kifaru pack is going to be the Marauder.

I really like that they are built in the USA and right in my home state of Colorado.

Here is the info:

web site: www.kifaru.net/EMR.html

KIFARU INTERNATIONAL
4894 VanGordon St.
Ste. 305
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
U.S.A.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ahh ok I've met Patrick before and own one of his tents.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Lottfan:
Here is a photo of my new Ruger .375 Alaskan. I put it in an H-S Precision stock and dropped my 2.5 X 10 power Night Force scope on it.

I have been working loads up for it with RL 15 and 260 grain Nosler Acubonds. I have been getting 2745 average with 76 grains of RL15. Anything above 76 grains starts showing pressure signs. The biggest thing i found is that if I seat the bullets out to 3.400 inches COAL the velocity stays the same but the accuracy goes way up and the Extreme spread of velocity goes way down. I was getting 43 fps extreme spread with a COAL of 3.320. With the COAL of 3.400 I consistently went to 5-6 fps extreme spread. Have any of you tried these Nosler AB bullets with any good results?

I tried the new H100V but the velocity I wanted to get just was not there.

I am taking it to Kodiak with me in September for a Goat hunt in DG475. This hunt is why I am loading the .260 grain NAB. The exterior ballistics charts show that with a 200 yard zero and 2750 fps it only drops 23 inches at 400 yards. But still has the energy that I want if I should tackle a Bear.

I really love this rifle with the new stock. It has a 14.5 inch length of pull that fits like a glove.

[URL= ]
I was checking www.bivwak.com bullets and noticed 375 partitions up for bid

One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I checked out Bivwak just now. It looks like one guy trying to sell his entire store. The starting prices arent that great. Looks like a waste of time on that site to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice! That should put a real hurt on a goat. Getting rid of the factory eraser stock would be my first move too.

I also shoot the 260 Gr AB in my Ruger 375 African. Gotten real good accuracy with that bullet around 2825 fps using Ramshot Big Game.

Posts: 83 | Location: MT | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Getting rid of the factory eraser stock would be my first move too.

I agree! thumbdown That material may work well for a handgun grip or pencil eraser, but it's not appropriate for a rifle...perhaps a 10-22. However, I am still thinking about buying a Ruger 416 AK.

Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a beauty! I wish someone would make that version in the good old .375 H & H version.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle for sure!!!
Love the pix of wife and kids hunting too.
A family that hunts together, stays together..

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
. ., One thing I don,t like about the Houge stock is because it is so soft it gets abraded and gouged by just clamberin around .......So I put a canoe paddle on mine and they just seem to always look the same ..........Plus it reduced the weight alot ..... Having the much better LC 6 trigger makes it alot easier to hit well with from field positions when the rifle is lightened up .....Tho I have a nice variable scope I think I,m going to put a fixed 4x scope on it in high rings . and if I can find a straight tube scope that is what it will get ....... Portability is much prefered for me ...........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having personally shot and killed a very tough skinned rock at 600 yards with 458 lotts rifle I can attest to the accuracy of this setup. I am really Impressed with the NF reticle and how well it matches your bullet drop. Good luck in AK and take it easy up there remember your on vacation.

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
There's a .375 Ruger in my local area that I get for a very reasonable price. I already have a .375 H&H. I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need that Ruger.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just got my new Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in 375 Ruger about two months ago. I nice little rifle. I have ordered a McMillan Hunters Edge stock for it, but it will take some months for it to arrive ( I live in Denmark)..

Mine shoots factory ammo - 270grs - at 2825 f/s average from the 20" barrel, and handloads up to 2900 f/s with same bullet (Hornady 270 grs). Havent tried 300 grs Nosler Partitions yet, but guess I will reach 2650f/s maybe 2700.. I just hope that the 300 grs Noslers and 270 grs TSX bullets will shoot well, then I need no more than that..
Accuracy (with the Hogue stock) is good. Very good for a Ruger - well - for any factory rifle out of the box. 1" groups with everything so far..

I am VERY satisfied with the new Ruger. Impressed to say the least...

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've been using the .375" 260 gr Accubond with excellent results. It is both accurate and effective on game. I'm cruising mine @ 2600fps from a H&H.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which model stock is that? I wonder if the same stock would work on the 416 Ruger? I have a spare 375 Ruger African that I also would like to restock into a synthetic and yours looks perfect. Ive hesitated on the 416 because I dont like the Hogue stock but now there seems to be an alternative. Thanks;

Rob

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only difference between a 375 ruger and 416 is the chamber. Otherwise the rifles are identical.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike7mm08:
The only difference between a 375 ruger and 416 is the chamber. Otherwise the rifles are identical.

And the bore diameter Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am considering one of these rifles, the hogue rubber stock gets no love at all, there must be some preference for the stainless steel version as a somewhat more weather resistant rifle, is there some clear preference for the 20 inch barrel over the 23 inch African barrel? How does the 20 inch barrel balance if in a better stock?

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy P Coaltrain:
I am considering one of these rifles, the hogue rubber stock gets no love at all, there must be some preference for the stainless steel version as a somewhat more weather resistant rifle, is there some clear preference for the 20 inch barrel over the 23 inch African barrel? How does the 20 inch barrel balance if in a better stock?

I am still waiting for my new stock. So I cant say really. Dont like the Hogue stock either..
The 20 inch barrel works well. But honestly I would have preferred an option of a 22" or 23" barrel in the Alaskan model (stainless barrel)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking rifle. I like the blue metal as opposed to the stainless, and looks like you made a super choice in stocks as well. Congrat's!

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DWright:
Very nice looking rifle. I like the blue metal as opposed to the stainless, and looks like you made a super choice in stocks as well. Congrat's!

It IS stainless steel!!! Just coated with some kind of black finish from Ruger..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well all the better. Best of both worlds.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now, that is a real tool and would be perfect for Alaska or just about any other place - I like it!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I spent 6 days on Kodiak Island with four of those days being continual rain and cloud mist. It was so wet that attempting to dry it was pointless. When we got back to Anchorage the only sign of rust was on the aft face of the rear iron site, and on the base of the front sight where it pins in to the mount. Very rugged and reliable rifle that shoots amazing well with my reloads. I will post some photos of my goat hunt later.

Tony and I had fun shooting 9 to 12 inch quarts rocks that we lazed out between 400 and 600 yards with this rifle just before I left for Kodiak.

Oh and Killahog there is no such thing as take it easy on a goat hunt. That was all work! and I loved it!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
458Lott;

Did you have any issues with the HS Precision stock needing a crossbolt? Or did you just bed it in and go with it? It looks like an ideal set up.

Thanks;
Rob

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way, for a LH shooter couldn't one take a 300 WM Hawkeye and simply rebarrel to 375 Ruger? Seems like that may be less expensive than looking for a factory 375R in LH.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote