New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brown Bear Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to hunt along the peninsula or Kodiac Island in about one year. Any suggestions for reliable and fun outfitters?

posted Hide Post
AR member 458Win (Phil Shoemaker) Grizzly Skins of Alaska or Bear Lake Lodge Alaska.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis,

Our outfitter in AK has (2) brown bear hunts for '09 Sept/Oct still open offering 99% shooting opportunities on good bears that average 9' squared. This hunt is regularly $14,500 now discounted to $12,500. $500 bush flight and lic/tag are only additional costs.

Hunt is based out of Dillingham and the hunt is conducted in the Togiak Federal Wildlife Refuge where our guy has an exclusive guide area. He is an Alaska Master Guide with 27 years expereince and fun is big part of the hunt.

I lived in this area for 22 years and the bear numbers are incredible. Kip Fulks from Under Armour hunted with us and had way too many bears around at night.

Contact me anytime for pix, references etc.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have an email for Grizzly Skins of Alaska?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cant go wrong with Phil.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Check out Gary Manness. with Wildak.com. Good guy and a great hunt out of a first class lodge on Kodiak. Lodge is littleagle.com. Fun hunt with huge bears and no tent camping.No deals as these are Kodiak Bears.This is a draw hunt.Non res have great odds on drawing. you want to hunt in the fall.

One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
I shot a nice brownie just a little shy of 10 ft and mounted quite a few brownies that were guided by Kelly Vren. Top notch operation on the peninsula and inland. Sorry you will have to google for a contact # Good Luck clap

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any idea how I can contact PHil?

quote:
Originally posted by Joel/AK:
Cant go wrong with Phil.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont know how current it is but try (907)376-2234. You could also try over at 24hourcampfire.com. he also post over there.

or try grizskins@worldnet.att.net

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or try 458win and PM him.

I tend to use more than enough gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
George Wescott guides in area DB134 Kiluda Bay. I harvested a 9ft 8" bear a couple of years ago. Good outiftter and works hard to get you your bear.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fun outfitter is a trick question, you'll probably want a fun guide as the outfitter will be just signing paper work and maybe doing the flying. not to many will actually be guiding, but some do. Lotta great outfits in ak for bear hunts, Sandy River Lodge, Mel Gillis is a great outfit, ask for Chris Kempf as your guide he's fun.
Have realistic expectations and you'll have fun regardless.
best of luck

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Great advice and Mel is a fun outfitter with good guides.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
+1 for Phil and you found him on the posting just before mine

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis Spender ----- I just got my 2008 Brochure from Dennis Harms of Chugiak Alaska. His outfit is Alaska Trophy Safaris. I hunted Moose with him in 1999 and can vouch for his professionalism and success for his hunters. In 2008 he had 11 hunters and they took 8 Bears. 4 Bears made the all time Boone & Crockett, and 2 made the yearly Boone & Crockett. Two Bears at 10' 4", were the largest with 2 more at 10' even. He hunts Kodiak only and has some of the best areas and has had them for years. I can also vouch for one of his guides, Walt Rowe, an old Kentucky boy, who guided me to a B & C Moose. He is not cheap, I paid for a premium Moose hunt and got a premium Moose. You can see for yourself, phone is 907-696-2484 and E-Mail is alaskatrophy@yahoo.com Goodluck and good shooting. The site is www.alaskakodiakbearhuntingsafaris.com

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dennis: I got my bear in 2001 with John Swiss, near Black Lake, on the peninsula; flew into Port Heiden where John picked me up and flew me to his camp, 45 minutes away. The two others in camp got their bears after I got mine. Saw many, many bears in that four days there. John, unfortunately, passed away a couple of years ago. I was told that he sold his operation to Bill Stevenson; I do not know anything about him. Swiss had that area for many years and it was very productive for big browns for him. His two sons, Jack & Tyler, guided for him. I was recently told that Tyler is still guiding, but I do not know for whom. He is a very skillful guide. That is a very good area and, I think worth checking out Mr. Stevenson. He is listed in the APHA magazine. A very close friend, retired from AK Fish & Game recommended John because he was an excellent guide, had an area with one of, if not the highest, bear densities on the peninsula- and was an excellent pilot. The latter is not something often, if ever, mentioned. Too many crashes in the bush.

One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Dennis,
Do a search for Kelly Vrem,Rough and Ready Outfitters. He does a penninsula hunt that is great.My father and I have hunted with him and his guides 6 times. We both hunted this past May 08 on the penn. and both got our bears(mime the 3rd day my father day 7). All total we have taken 5 brown bears ith him and his guides. Top shelf all the way plus he is a no BS guy. His #1 and #2 guides Scott#1 Chris#2 have had over 150 brown bears killed in front of them by hunters.They are great guides and his areas are superb.If you need further info. email me at wesleytim@yahoo.com
thanks
Wesley

Posts: 672 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Olguy, reading your post brings back some outstanding memories of John Swiss. I hunted Moose and Caribou with John and Tyler Swiss in 1981, and had an outstanding hunt. Saw well over 100 Brown Bears from the air, plus more on the ground. Tyler guided me to a great moose that scored nearly 220 and was right at 64". That area around Black Lake was (and I assume, still is) a great place for a hunt in very wild country.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote