Find
Notify
Tools

kodiak deer
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted
I am going to kodiak to hunt deer in two weeks. I am getting excited.

Got my rifle ready. 300 win mag. I will be taking some 200 barnes TSX and some 200 nosler partitions. I shot them both at 100, 200 and 300 yards. Both loads shoot the same. Sighted at 200 yards.

I am also taking my 454 casull with some 340 grain Hardcast at 1350. This shoots really well in my gun. I would like to get a deer with my handgun.

I have been to Kodiak once before and to Montague 4 times.

The trip is schedules to be 2 weeks but there are going to be three of us so I don't really expect to be there more than a week (weather permitting).

Getting three deer each shouldn't take long. I usually get a deer each day.

I am planning on trying for some above average (for me) deer and My buddy has a BB tag. So hunting bear might take some more time.

jump

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you're going to have a great time. I hope you guys shoot some nice bucks and a poke a nice brownie in the process. I'll be chasing those brownies on Kodiak next April.

Take pictures for us...

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good trip in the making - don't forget your raingear.......... beer

Hear and forget. See and remember. Do and understand.

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Question for Alaska Hunting ? I have a Sharps 40/90 & Remington rolling blk 40/65 If I wanted to hunt Alaska how do I get my ammo to Alaska & back home again to PA ?

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just lock it in the case with the rifle. Ammo can be legally carried in your check in luggage.
Happy hunting RMiller, My son and I are heading down there to hunt deer also on 4-13 Nov. Don't forget to enter to the big buck contest at Boondocks sporting goods.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Snowwolf

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
Good luck. Looking forward to the details when you return. I hope to make it to Kodiak next year.

JD

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,

I will be flying to Kodiak from Fairbanks then Anchorage and won't make it to Eagle River.

I do need to take pictures though. I have a bad habit of not taking pictures.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bummer. Seahawk air gives a 10% discount on there charter flights if you sign up for the Boondocks Big Buck contest. Where are you headed on Kodiak? This will be my 9th or 10th trip there for deer.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
It is just south of Kodiak itself. I have not been to this spot before and can't remember the name.

I do know it is off the road but not by much.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Just a quick tip on taking trophy pics, try to orient yourself so the sun is in your face, yeah I know your laughing about that one, remove your hat and have the photographer use a flash even during day hours.

It seems like the vast majority of throphy shots I see the hunter's face is hidden in a shadow from a hat, and/or the sun at his back. Also the nice thing about a digital camera is you can check the photo to see if it's good, and shoot another if not.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Using the flash is good advice. If your camera has the ability you should set the flash up to underexpose about 1 stop. That way it will light up the shadows without burning out the highlights. I use fill flash often when out in the field. Copy and paste into your browser if you like to see more of Alaska:
http://www.pawprintphotography.com